Ugh!! Stupid Seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I replace the Fluid in the Tranny and T-case 2 days ago. Today after work I walk out to leave and see a small puddle of fluid on the ground, I look underneath to see what we have all seen, Fluid coming from the E-brake. I have replaced this before so I knew the work involved (not much) but I also know it is messy and stupid. Ran down to the Toyota dealership and picked up a new one and had it in in under an hour.

Question is, Can I do anything to keep this crap from happening again without spending 300+ for the MAF Disc E-brake kit? :D

really isnt anything you can do to prevent it, other than good maintenance......and i dont get how the ebrake kit would help ???

really isnt anything you can do to prevent it, other than good maintenance......and i dont get how the ebrake kit would help  ???

It allows you to double up on the seal, It also uses a "better" seal.

I read somewhere that someone put gasket sealant in along with the seal itself, not exactly sure how. I am going to try that next time, I guess around the edges. This problem drives me nuts, too.

Mine has been doing that too- I replaced the seal, and it still leaks out of the ebrake drum. Argh!!! I plan on rebuilding the case, so maybe I'll try and remedy it when I have it apart...

speedie sleeve the drum, it's probably grooved where the seal rides. The double seal setup solves this to since one seal rides in a "unused" location.

Use blue gasket goop on the splines when installing the drum, you can get seepage thru there too.

speedie sleeve the drum, it's probably grooved where the seal rides.  The double seal setup solves this to since one seal rides in a "unused" location.

Use blue gasket goop on the splines when installing the drum, you can get seepage thru there too.

Thanks woody, I actually checked for grooving and the drum is in remarkable condition, the seal had lost its guts though.

Does anyone know if the MAF E-brake kit actually holds the vehicle better, My unit is in need of TLC (new shoes, springs and more than likely cable).

A well maintained stock ebrake works fine. I used wheel bearing grease instead of silicone on the splines. Generally, the sela leaks for one of two reasons: wear on the drum, or because the output bearing is worn or misadjusted. The two lip seal is easier than a speedisleeve...

speedie sleeve the drum, it's probably grooved where the seal rides.  

Woody,
I overheard something about speedie sleeves at the local mechanic's last week. They acted like it was something they didn't want me to know about in relation to fixing my rear main seal and transfer case leaks. Can you tell me more about what a speedie sleeve is, where you get them, what aplications they are good for?
Greg

Speedies are available at any NAPA (usually ordered tho)....they are great for low-pressure repairs where a seal has worn a groove in the sealing surface. Pinion inputs, harmonic balancers, t-case outputs, etc. For GM stuff, when you get a timing cover set, a speedie is often included.

You should be able to take the drum into NAPA and they can measure for the proper ID sleeve. They run about $30 or so each tho, so not sure what approach will be cheaper.

Specter Off Road (sor.com) has the speedie sleeves for this and other applications. They are correctly sized for you in their catalog, so ordering is straightforward.

Speedies are available at any NAPA (usually ordered tho)....they are great for low-pressure repairs where a seal has worn a groove in the sealing surface.  Pinion inputs, harmonic balancers, t-case outputs, etc.  .

Woody,
Can I use a speedie sleeve as a stop-gap solution for the leak between my transmission and transfer on my 62? &nbsp:Dumps about 1/2 quart of trans-fluid every 2K miles.
Greg

I don't believe there is a speedie for the tranny output shaft....that's usually a seal/gasket problem....or you run one of those external balancer tube things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom