Typical Rust or keep looking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking at 2017 with 100,000 miles from Connecticut, and worried about the salty roads in winter. Does this level of rust look typical underneath, or would you keep looking?

4BFDA86D-D810-47E6-87EB-AAC090137E2B.jpeg

8124BED6-3F71-4D63-973F-A03D32C41166.jpeg

955D487E-016B-429B-A265-B8381D755C3F.jpeg

6995C640-91C1-4D6D-B431-8AC52E14D329.jpeg

I live in VT, so have lots of experience with corrosion. My '16 is from NJ (NYC area), and has a lot less corrosion than that. That KDSS valve block looks a lot like the condition of my '13 that lived its entire life in VT.

I see you are in SC, is rust a problem there ever? What is your intent with this vehicle? Meaning keep it forever, or sell in a few years?

If you won’t introduce your own rust, and you plan to keep it for a long time, hold out for a rust free truck. Trust me. Everything you do in the future under it will be easier. More than KDSS I’m thinking LCA pivot bolts, rear brake backing plates, spare tire carrier, almost any bolt that needs to come out of the frame for anything.

Note that if you lived where rust is going to eventually be a problem anyway the equation shifts a lot.

In my opinion, the rust I see is not a deal-breaker if the truck is just what you want otherwise. Plan on a day with a couple cans on Rustoleum Rust Reformer and Fluid Film after a thorough cleaning. If you need the KDSS valves to work, pick up a case of advanced cuss words at the Home Depot before starting that job (But again, from what I see, I think they will open).

Thanks for the replies guys. Pretty much what I was expecting to hear. I am in SC, kind of near the coast, so rust may continue to be an issue. I plan to keep it a LONG time. It's a pretty good deal, I think (84k mi., $53K). Great condition otherwise, and I don't see many come up around here locally. I guess I'm just looking for that nudge to say go for it! :) A wire brush and some Rust Reformer might be the ticket.

I'm not generally too afraid of rust but the KDSS valves look pretty nasty. I'd want to see if they pop loose before I'd buy if you plan on suspension upgrades..

Assuming that's the silver one at Florence Toyota, I looked at it pretty hard a few weeks ago. Had an odd smell and there was a ton of mold under the passenger side front floor mat. In addition to the rust. Hard pass.

I would not but it’s kind of bad. . KDSS valve has 2 set screws. Those must turn. If not, no go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom