Type 120 Recovery Chain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Just an FYI if you are looking for a qual recovery chain. I bought a 3/8" square link recovery chain complete with cinch hooks and connectors from Pewag here in Sparks, NV. The 'system' (all parts/components) are WLL rated at 10,800lbs with break at 400% of that.

Any reason in particular you chose chain? I think the weight outshines any possible benefits it may have over a dedicated, good quality strap or even a section of winch rope. Not an attack, just curious. I've used chain in the past with good results, and carry a couple of sections to use with the hi-lift, but I'm wondering about a 30' length of 3/8" chain and how much it would weigh?

I have syn rope and 30' syn yanker. I wanted this just in case I needed to move a log/tree/rock out of the way...or to use it when/if I have to use a boulder as a winching point. I like to keep the sharp stuff away from my good syn rope/yankers. IMO you should carry all...at least one in a group...you never know...

Also my chain section is only 15'...small (relatively) package and not too weighty.

good idea spressomon, i cary a small length of chain for the same reasons. it has come in handy for alot of things, especially when you dont want any stretch.

I carry 2 chains with choker hooks, each is 5400 lbs (and tow straps, and a snatch strap). The choker hooks are great, gives you adjustability capability.
I can run them in parallel if I want the heavier load.
But most importantly, it gives me a lot of flexibility, for example if winching something with the hi-lift (you got to secure the line before removing the hilift for the next "pull", I can alternate the chains).
And yes, chains are great to avoid damage to straps.
The ones I used are lower grade than 120. They are also 3/8" but only rated at 5400 lbs. About $15 for 15 ft each on sale at HF. The drawback of the low price is double the weight basically.

e9999 said:
I carry 2 chains with choker hooks, each is 5400 lbs (and tow straps, and a snatch strap). The choker hooks are great, gives you adjustability capability.
I can run them in parallel if I want the heavier load.
But most importantly, it gives me a lot of flexibility, for example if winching something with the hi-lift (you got to secure the line before removing the hilift for the next "pull", I can alternate the chains).
And yes, chains are great to avoid damage to straps.
The ones I used are lower grade than 120. They are also 3/8" but only rated at 5400 lbs. About $15 for 15 ft each on sale at HF. The drawback of the low price is double the weight basically.

So, you need 8x the needed strength jack stands plus wood cribbing and spare tires to hold up a 5000lb truck to work on it, but $15 Harbor Freight chain is good enough for rigging and recovery work? Do you have them tested and inspected by OSHA after each use?

Tools R Us said:
So, you need 8x the needed strength jack stands plus wood cribbing and spare tires to hold up a 5000lb truck to work on it, but $15 Harbor Freight chain is good enough for rigging and recovery work? Do you have them tested and inspected by OSHA after each use?

cute, but nah, I'll leave the OSHA inspections to Honk... :D
I would not get under the truck if it were lifted by both chains, ratings notwithstanding, though... Difference between being right under and in the general vicinity...

One has to exercise good judgement about the loads involved of course, and choose the appropriate device. That's why I have a 30K strap too.

Tools R Us said:

LMAO

Eric does not wheel his junk, so it isn't an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom