turkey population (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
there seams to be an explosion of the turkey population around my hose in Malden each year it seams to double they are fun to watch the males have been courting the females :D
tur.jpg

I wouldn't normally comment....but I had the same thought while driving back from Binghamton, NY to Burlington, VT this week....I saw like 3 flocks of turkeys at various times, each with maybe 10-15 members. It seems like these birds are becoming more and more common.....What gives?

The last couple of years here in Western CT they seem to be declining, so it's good to hear that they are on the rise up there. I think some bad spring weather and a surge in fox, bobcat, and coyote population may have beat them down around here. Of course this is just an observation, I don't know what the larger tends are (but it has affected the areas I hunt without question).

The last couple of years here in Western CT they seem to be declining, so it's good to hear that they are on the rise up there. I think some bad spring weather and a surge in fox, bobcat, and coyote population may have beat them down around here. Of course this is just an observation, I don't know what the larger tends are (but it has affected the areas I hunt without question).

Hey there....good to hear from you.

I know you hunt a lot...so correct me...I thought turkey's were really difficult to hunt...Don't they have fairly acute hearing and sight? Maybe the decline in hunting permits is letting the populations grow a bit more....Or maybe the decline in the average effectiveness of the hunting community has something to do with it. I am sure the I-hate-the-nra crowd would love that argument.

FWIW....I love to eat turkey.

Thats some good eats right there! I'll come out with my bow and decrease the numbers a bit if you want:)

Thats some good eats right there! I'll come out with my bow and decrease the numbers a bit if you want:)

bow you don't need a bow catch it like a man, just walk up and grab its neck these birds are very tame

There has been a flock around my area also My daughter loves seeing them on the way to preschool. Last weekend they were cruising around in the woods across the valley when I was cleaning out the gutters on my shop and they sent the cows running to the barn :D

oh yeah on the news today a 18 pounder flew inside someones house on the second floor, kick ass

I saw a big Tom perched on the edge of a guys nice new pickup. I see them around his yard all the time in the afternoon and wondered if he had any idea of where the big scratches on his fenders came from.

bow you don't need a bow catch it like a man, just walk up and grab its neck these birds are very tame

I would rather jump out of a tree with a knife in my teeth, grab it, tackel it and slit it's throat..... that's catching one like a man:D:flipoff2:

I would rather jump out of a tree with a knife in my teeth, grab it, tackel it and slit it's throat..... that's catching one like a man:D:flipoff2:

now thats what im talking about:D

Samurai sword..... :grinpimp:

Thanksgiving early... sounds good!

Adds to the sport..... of course, you gotta be good with a bow to start with....

I've tried it before. I set up a recurve with that in mind. But I haven't gotten anything. If I bend up buying MA turkey tags (only have ME right now), I might give it another go. I was a great shot, but I've gotten a little rusty.

I've tried it before. I set up a recurve with that in mind. But I haven't gotten anything. If I bend up buying MA turkey tags (only have ME right now), I might give it another go. I was a great shot, but I've gotten a little rusty.

I've gotten them with the bow in the fall while deer hunting, but have never gone out specifically for them during the spring season with the bow. Too much hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom