Turbo or manual tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you guys think?
I have a R151F that came behind Toyota Turbo Truck and thinking to swap it into my 99 LC. This are the same manual transmission that came with 4.7 V8 manual tranny LC100. Both use the same transver case as the one we got in US version 100 series.

I did not compare it to supercharger because there is a bolt on kit which makes the swap a lot easier.
I am just thinkering with this to see which one would be more feasible and gives the best performance and driveability onroad/offroad.

Turbo install:
- custom manifold for dual small turbo. One on each side
- Designed for low pressure 5-7 Psi and minimal turbo lag. Possibly T3-T4 hybrid since they are cheap and plentiful.
- Intercooler install (powerstroke intercooler)
- fuel system/management modification (Dastek/Visnu Xede/Unichip)
- Are the tranny need to modied? I know a lot of Tacoma or 4Runner that need transmission upgrade after supercharger install.

Manual transmission swap:
- Need bellhousing from Australia or anywhere else manual transmission are available
- Output shaft (my R151F have 23 spline output shaft, not sure with LC) to connect to the stock transver case or even adapter plate which I am sure could be sourced from Toyota.
- Cluch pedal assy (Australian Junkyard)
- OBDII interface/chip to send dummy message to the ECM? Unknown at this time.
- Might be looking at wiring nightmare since on most modern vehicle the wiring could be completly different between auto and manual and I dont think OBD II are used anywhere else except USA/Canada/Mexico.

Any insight are welcome.

Thanks
Augie

Augie, unfortunately just about all the full size cruisers got the H15x series, not the R15x series.

The idea of an R series trans. in a Cruiser has always interested me.... it would probably hold up fine, 86.5 - 92 Turbo Supras use the R series, and many owners push quite a bit of power through it w/o problems. A twin turbo 4.7 2UZ may be a bit much for it, though(?).

Also, adapting it is another thing all together... different shaft sizes and spline count, clutch size, bolt patterns etc etc. I do believe there is an outfit in Austrailia or New Zealand that produces a kit to place an R sieries behind a 1UZ FE 4.0L Lexus engine, that may solve part of you problem, but still leaves the t-case side open. There is a good chance I will be looking into this futher at some point, if I do, I'll be sure to post it.

May help if you explain what your goal is for the truck :flipoff2:, ie. rock beater or mall queen. I would not put a stick in a wheeling rig. Just seen too many guys struggling with it when using the torque converter with the auto is so easy when 2 foot driving.

bjowett,

Toyota Australia mention R151F NA diesel 100 series. I have no idea the transmission are bigger. I thought the only difference is the gear ratio. Petrol and turbo diesel get H151F with 4.08 1st gear ratio while the normally aspirated Diesel got R151F with 4.31 1st gear ratio.

Junk,
I am not interested in getting all out power but more to make the acceleration much more liveable. I am happy if I could keep up with a stock Honda Accord off the line. My truck would not be a mall queen but it would not be rock crawler either.

So far it seem like the turbo install would be less headache than trying to bypass the OBD II transmission signal.

[quote author=Augie link=board=2;threadid=10262;start=msg92285#msg92285 date=1074552169]
bjowett,

Toyota Australia mention R151F NA diesel 100 series. I have no idea the transmission are bigger. I thought the only difference is the gear ratio. Petrol and turbo diesel get H151F with 4.08 1st gear ratio while the normally aspirated Diesel got R151F with 4.31 1st gear ratio.
[/quote]

Well, whadayaknow... you are correct. Hrmmmm that does open up some options now, dosn't it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom