Turbo on a B engine (1978 BJ40) (With Intercooler) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hola amigos,

I have been doing a lot of research about B engines. I have seen a lot of posts about 3b engines with Turbo.
I own a 78 Land Cruiser totally stock with an B engine (3.0 L).

VOXkrFM.jpg

I have like 4-6 months doing research about turbos and their boost on the engine... I found all bad things and good things about them.
Personally, I think that the worst things are:
1-Vulnerable to dust.
2-After some time, it has to be rebuilt (turbines, rings, bearings, etc).
3-If they fail, you cannot just remove it. (Im talking about the Manifold).
4-The worst, and not well proved, is that the life of the engine is short with a turbo. (My engine has been runing since the 78, last and ONLY recent overhaul was on 2014).
5-If you dont know what you are doing, you may blow your engine.
6-Engine may run hot after installing it (you would hit high RPMs quicker).

Good things are...
1-You Gain more boost (HP and Torque).
End.

Now, from what I know the B engine has a problem cooling the pistons with oil (not on the 3B), so what Im planning to do is to install an Intercooler in front of the Radiator.

Im opening this conversation because of 2 reasons, first one, is to help all those who are planning to put a Turbo on a B engine, and also I have some questions about my Turbo.
I bought this turbo (CT12b) brand new from Ebay:

4FhUNUn.jpg

And it has 4 holes...

I know that the 2 holes that are together are for the OIL:

N9XV4Z2.jpg

Thats why I bought this piece:

$_35.JPG

As you guys can see, its a Feed and Drain kit. What Im planning to do with this, is to connect the oil feed to this:

Sltairs.jpg

So what Im gonna do is that I will get a T piece to connect the oil feed and the oil pressure meter.

And then I will send all the oil to the Oil Sump.

Now... The Turbo has 2 more holes on it, and they are separated:
THIS IS HOLE 1:

L1Kvotr.jpg

AND THIS IS HOLE 2:

JO8awUb.jpg

So I Really dont know what to put there, from what I saw on several other turbos, is that they use Water.
But for the ct12b, Im not really sure.

Here you have a better look of HOLE 2 passing all way through HOLE 1.

pWWPIxc.jpg

The main issue, is that the Turbo came with this kit:

lew2vGD.jpg

Check that piece on the yellow circle, I dont understand why that piece belongs to the turbo, I mean, If the turbo uses water through 2 holes (IN and OUT) why Im gonna use that piece?
Thats the main thing right now.
What I was planning to do is to use my air compresor through these holes to check from where the air comes out, maybe that would help, problably I would do it this weekend.

And regarding the Manifold...

g66vzzC.jpg

I have 2 options...
1-Get a Manifold of the 1KZ turbo engine, and adapt it to my engine using my existing manifold.
2-Buiild my own Manifold.

In few days I will tell you guys what Im gonna do with the Manifold.

I will update this post (on the comments) with my progress.

Any help on the turbo would be great,

Thanks,

Robert.

Last edited:
Guys, I made some phone calls, and yeah, seems that those 2 holes are for water cooling.
No idea why the piece on the yellow circle come with the kit.

Tomorrow I will change the coolant on my engine, and I will find a water supply on the water cooling system for the turbo.

I would and have in the past, just blanked the water coolant ports off - it is a diesel donk not a gasser. Just make sure you idle it down before switching the engine off, especially after driving at high boost. Check out the diesel section ...

2c

I found this: B Turbo

"Cruiser Innovations" posted:
"Fuel system.. pull all your injectors and have them tested by a diesel injection repair shop. I have turbo charged two B diesels and on both I sent my injectors and pump to a local Nippon Denso authorized repair shop. In both cases the injectors were bad. The pumps are nearly bullet proof and with a simple gasket set and re-calibrated to insure equal fuel injection volume per cylinder the fuel system was ready to perform."

I will have my injectors checked before running the turbo as well.

I don't have experience with Toyota diesels, just the Chevy 6.5 diesel. Something that crosses all makes of diesel motor is the EGT gauge. I would highly recommend adding an EGT gauge so you can keep watch on your EGT's, as a turbo can really affect the EGT's that a diesel motor will see. Also, check out the diesel section here on Mud as you will find a vast knowledge base for Toyota diesels there.

Don

Now everything has sense... I found this piece:

$_35.JPG

That is for the water IN and OUT through 1 hole.
Now I need to find a water feed line and where to drop it.
Please note, that I will add water to my Turbo because the life for it will be longer than just using oil.

Just run it with low boost and/or heaps of fuel. It'll love it!

You also will get better fuel economy with the turbo and have the ability to climb hills in a single gear.
I'll second the EGT gauge. That is what will save your motor and all other badness. When a diesel gets too high of temps, it get hotter water which eventually ends up in a meltdown. If you put an EGT gauge on the exhaust, you'll know when you're working it hard and it will give you a bit of heads up when to back out of the throttle to keep from melting down.

I've never run water on any turbo, to me putting water anywhere near an intake is begging for trouble. Also, oil is a better cooler of bearings then water - put an oil cooler on your motor.

Do be sure to let it cool down a bit idling before you shut it off after working it hard.... cracks in exhaust, turbo housings, and blocks happen when you shut it down too fast.

You also will get better fuel economy with the turbo and have the ability to climb hills in a single gear.
I'll second the EGT gauge. That is what will save your motor and all other badness. When a diesel gets too high of temps, it get hotter water which eventually ends up in a meltdown. If you put an EGT gauge on the exhaust, you'll know when you're working it hard and it will give you a bit of heads up when to back out of the throttle to keep from melting down.

I've never run water on any turbo, to me putting water anywhere near an intake is begging for trouble. Also, oil is a better cooler of bearings then water - put an oil cooler on your motor.

Do be sure to let it cool down a bit idling before you shut it off after working it hard.... cracks in exhaust, turbo housings, and blocks happen when you shut it down too fast.

Thank you for the information. EGT gauge would be necesary then.
You are totally right. I was thinking about the Water, it could be an issue mixing the Manifold temps with the Engine temps by passing the water through the turbo.
And its a better option to get an OIL cooler than putting in risk the water.

I will finish the turbo installation first, then I will see on the OIL cooler.

I would vote for an oil cooler also. The 6.5 diesel has, as stock, an auxiliary oil cooler. The B is an IDI motor isn't it? An IDI motor, like the 6.5, is more heat prone than an DI motor just due to the design of the motor.

Don

I would vote for an oil cooler also. The 6.5 diesel has, as stock, an auxiliary oil cooler. The B is an IDI motor isn't it? An IDI motor, like the 6.5, is more heat prone than an DI motor just due to the design of the motor.

Don

Don,

The B engine has his own OIL cooler:
055b-gif.83018

The B engine is IDI, not direct.
Adding an additional Oil Cooler would be a good option. I would have to see where to put it.
I need to work on the tubes of the intercooler, before putting any oil cooler.

Knowing that the B is IDI is helpful to me. My primary experience with a diesel has been the IDI 6.2/6.5 over the past 6 years (and reading Mud), so I'm still new to diesels.

Since the B does have an oil cooler already I think you have the correct idea with an intercooler first.

Don

I got the manifold for the 1kz turbo.

DZAIab7.jpg

sWtOwhD.jpg

I need to modify the flange that is going to the engine exhaust.
(on the 1KZ are circular, on B they are square)

Don,

The B engine has his own OIL cooler:
055b-gif.83018

The B engine is IDI, not direct.
Adding an additional Oil Cooler would be a good option. I would have to see where to put it.
I need to work on the tubes of the intercooler, before putting any oil cooler.

That's a 2F oil cooler diagram.

Here are the 2 manifolds, the darkest one is from the 1KZ and the other is from the B engine.

KS9RqYL.jpg

y2O3qmM.jpg

That's a 2F oil cooler diagram.

Yes I know, but the B engine has the same oil cooler, I just checked by my self.
IN and OUT of the water on the cooler are diferent but the system is the same.

IN and OUT of the oil:

nv8hGct.jpg

t0F2qcE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom