Turbo gurus purchase advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I'm just looking at a replacement turbo for my 3b.

I found one on Craigslist from an acura integra. Garrett M24 compressor AR .42. He says he's trying to find the trim thinks it might be around 40 (I'm a bit lost on trim numbers)

Trying to get the turbine AR from the guy, but a quick google search seems to indicate that .48 is a common turbine AR for turbos matching this info...?

UPDATE: sounds like it might be .60 turbine AR ... too big?

The guy says journal bearing, and not ceramic

turbo.jpg

turbo2.jpg

Can any of you turbo gurus out there say if I'm barking up the right tree with this one?

Looks to me to match what people are recommending on Mud. Guy's asking $200, claims he took it to a turbo shop and they said it was in good shape. Seems reasonable if so?

Last edited:
$200 is cheap. I would look into what it would cost for it to be gone through for peice of mind.
I don't know if this is well suited to a 3b though.

Well look at you..... getting into the force induction world. You'll love the "B" with a turbo. The difference is night and day.

Well look at you..... getting into the force induction world. You'll love the "B" with a turbo. The difference is night and day.

Yeah it used to have one actually, until this little incident I had in Guyana... and since I'm about to drive to Guatemala, if I can possibly put one on again I will. Once is enough when it comes to driving a NA diesel 60 across a continent with no muffler :hillbilly:

Lots of good threads already on this, just search. The Garrett T25 (Dougal) was shown to fit really well, and is common on Saab 900,9000, and can usually be had for 200 or less on ebay etc. The newer version is GT2052, but then your looking at more $.
There are several other turbos that fit as well, I think the T25 is .48/.49 AR. It works really well for me, spools up right away.

That is an old school T3 which will work fine as long as the turbine housing is a .48. It should say 48 somewhere on the housing. If it says .63 it will not spool properly for you. The compressor wheel I havent been able to narrow down what trim it is, but all the trims (40, 45, 50 and 60) map well for moderate boost (below 15lbs). For 200 bucks you can get a more modern turbo of more efficient design that will be more responsive. The T25 mentioned is a better match as well as some mitsu turbos well discussed on here. If you want to go with this turbo 200$ is a bit high for an oldie like that, but would function fine.

Lots of good threads already on this, just search.

Yep, thanks Samwise I've read over many of them a few times, which is how I came to be looking at this turbo. Thanks to that info I have an idea what numbers to look for, but not being an engineer or turbo expert myself, I thought I would check up as Integras are not one of the sources I've seen discussed on here for 3b turbos. Good to hear that T25 is working well for you, I've been hoping to find one and will aim more toward that now.

That is an old school T3 which will work fine as long as the turbine housing is a .48. It should say 48 somewhere on the housing. If it says .63 it will not spool properly for you. The compressor wheel I havent been able to narrow down what trim it is, but all the trims (40, 45, 50 and 60) map well for moderate boost (below 15lbs). For 200 bucks you can get a more modern turbo of more efficient design that will be more responsive. The T25 mentioned is a better match as well as some mitsu turbos well discussed on here. If you want to go with this turbo 200$ is a bit high for an oldie like that, but would function fine.

Thanks a lot gerg, that's exactly what I was wondering. I also just came across a Mitsubishi turbo from an eclipse/talon that is looking promising and a lot cheaper at $75. He says it has a little shaft play but not too bad... that seems to be what most sellers are saying.

Now if the eclipse turbo is from an 89-94 then it is probably a td04 13g 5cm which would be a great low end turbo for a 3B as long as you dont want to push it past 15lbs pressure. If its newer it is probably a td05 which is in between a t3 and the smaller td04 I mentioned. Email them and get years and numbers for cross reference. Shaft play that doesn't cause the compressor to rub the housing is fine. If you can get it to touch the housing at all it is not good. 75 bucks is about a normal price for a used turbo. At 200$ they should have the receipt for a rebuild or somehting cus it a bit much for a common old used turbo.

Good to hear you're still alive and kicking Josh.
Gerg has saved me typing out everything, I agree with his assessment.

You don't still have the bits from your old GT2052? How is the rest of the old girl going?

Good to hear you're still alive and kicking Josh.
Gerg has saved me typing out everything, I agree with his assessment.

You don't still have the bits from your old GT2052? How is the rest of the old girl going?

Hey Dougal, yep still alive, university has sadly kept me away from landcruisers and Mud these last few years it seems. I have a practicum project in Guatemala coming up, so I've found a way to make those things more compatible I guess ;) The cruiser has been mostly sitting, but now the engine's out while I do the clutch and prepare it for the drive.

I still have the housing, but the cartridge is destroyed. Also, it was a GT25 but I don't think it was actually a 2052? Out of curiousity I went and dug up the thread where we discussed it:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...quick-garrett-turbo-question-opinions.html#10

The part number was 704090-5001

I did think about the idea of putting a new cartridge in it, but my impression was that this would cost a fair bit more than a junkyard turbo?? ~$600?

Thanks for chiming in, your turbo wisdom is much appreciated as always.

Replacing the old cartridge depends on what went wrong. If your bearings are toast then you could do a rebuild, but if the center section is "destroyed" then there is a good chance the turbine shaft is toast as well which will jack the price up. Might be better just to swap the whole thing. What exactly went wrong?

It got solid chunks of steel in it after I let the wrong guys do some welding on the manifold attachment... (yeah, not great judgement past self). So the fins were shredded and the whole thing spins, as I recall, as if it's on an eliptical orbit... with kind of a "clunk clunk clunk" feeling. Kind of like what it might feel like to drive with a wheel clamp on your car

Hmm that does sound bad. The turbine and bearings are toast for sure. Maybe the exhaust housing if it has been rubbing, and if it ran long the compressor and comp housing might be affected. The center section on the other hand is probably fine. Sorry to hear about that. If I were you id take it apart and see what is damaged and you might get away with the turbine and bearings which would be easier than a new (used) turbo, but not cheaper. Get number or a year on that eclipse turbo and if it is what I think it is, it would work well for you. Most mitsu turbos have it written in bold letters on the compressor housing. You would need a new adapter to your manifold which is easy to get off ebay. You would have to double check the dimensions on the gaskets, but Im 99% sure its a fit. Here ia a link.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mitsubishi-4...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c13bd0cdc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom