Turbo 3B Overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The machine shop I took it to said some of the cracks were too deep to repair. There is a crack in between the intake and exhaust valves on each cylinder, and each pre-combustion chamber seat has two cracks except cylinder four which has three.

I bought a set of new pre cups from Radd Cruisers but I found a complete rebuilt head at 4 Wheel Auto Wholesale in Edmonton.

It’s hard to see the cracks in some of the pictures, but the shop brought me in the back and re-did the magnalfux to show them to me. The cracks in the pre-combustion chamber seats start vertically in the seat itself and work their way down to the horizontal surface where the head gasket would sit. It was easy to see them when magnafluxed…below are a few picture of the ones you can see without mag.View attachment 2887788View attachment 2887789View attachment 2887790View attachment 2887791View attachment 2887792
Bummer, biggest problem with these engines was owners who lugged them even without a turbo could get them pretty warm. So my guess is that head must of gotten really hot at some point, maybe low on coolant or something. Dan at 4 Wheel Auto is one of the few finding and selling hard to find parts, he even has cams for these engines which I will buy for my build. He claims that they are not china heads, they are made in Europe and high quality.

I have been told over the years those cracks are super fichal do not run deep, but I would air on the side of concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom