Turbo 350 Trans... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got offered a Turbo 350 automatic transmission from a friend that is moving and doesn't have room anymore. I figured I'd take it (a free transmission should sell to someone for something), but the real question is should I use it??? Soon I will have installed a Chevy 350 V8 and I had planned to use the orginal Toy 4 speed which I already have adapters for, but would the 350 auto be a better choice? The FJ-40 is mostly a daily driver and I haven't had any bad issues with the current 4 speed. Just trying to do a little research here, I don't know much about automatic transmissions and how to adapt them to the rest of the driveline, or if this is even a reasonable idea for a 40.

Last edited:
I'm putting an auto in my 40. AA makes an adapter to the toyota 4 speed but it is kinda long IIRC. It seemed to me one of the deciding factors in going to a doubler was it was only about an inch longer. I have a 350-TH400-NP203GRB-AA adapter-4speed. It is long. With my rear springs flipped and my water pump less than 1/2 from my Taurus fan, the tube on the rear driveshaft is about two inches long. A TH350 is shorter than a TH400, but I don't remember how much.
You need to run a good cooler. I'm running a RV cooler with a seperate fan.
You get to lose the clutch pedal, giving you more room around a cage.
The torque converter works as a torque multiplier at low speeds.
Auto trannies are a lot more durable than many give credit for, they are great for rock crawling, and easy to drive in the tight trails but...
You puncture the pan or rip off the cooler lines, you're done. You kill the starter in water, you ain't getting pull started. You're gonna need a custom driveshaft to keep the vibes down on a DD, too.
MHO? in a DD, I'd keep the 4-speed. When you go rock buggy, put in an auto. Then put in a TH400 for durability, or a 700R4 for the 3.08 first and OD.

th350 21.75"
th400 24.37"
700r4 23.4"

Which do you prefer a stick or auto?

i ran both in the same rig, and my fav is the auto in it now.
4speed, and a th350 now.
I am a manual trans guy.

SHORTEST adapter possible with any auto swap!!!!!!!!!
downey brought back the short adapter and i definately see why.

I run a old AA adapter that is 1.75" long, engine placement is close
to what gumby said his is, and never had a drivline issue.
I run NONE CV rear shaft, ran it both SUA and SOA and then SOA
with a spring flip, never a driveline VIB at all. Plenty of rear driveshaft
length with the short adapter. THIS is a second DD vehicle.

You do have to run a front output conversion, and clearance the pan.

a good skid plate, route the lines in the frame rails :) works nice.
the starter thing, i am thinking that manual VB and lockup deal for the
700r4 might allow pop start? i will be looking into it somemore.

th400 is 60 lbs heavier,suppose to take 15 more HP to use then a th350.
its strength stock trans to stock trans is stronger. dont think the th400
would be my prefered choice in a DD. I kind of wish i did the 700r4, but
a new rebuilt th350 that was free ended up there.

BTW nasty shifts with a strip shift kit, :) love it.

starting to sound like I should keep it for myself, now to look into the conversion issues.

I run a th350 in my FJ40 and as a recreational vehicle it sure is a nice break from jamming gears all day in my work trucks. I am very careful about the cooler, pan and lines. The trick is to keep them cool and well protected.

I'm looking into the TH350 option myself right now....thinking my existing TBI 350 SBC, TH350, Toybox, then a split case...

decisions decisions....

If your 40 runs hot with the v8 and stick it will run even hotter with the auto in it

I went from a NV4500 to a TH350/203GBR/3sp and I would never go back. I miss the OD on the freeway but my cruiser is far from setting any land speed records.

aaaahhhh, modifications...you spend lots of money to modifiy your rig, and then someone gives you something for free and you spend that much again to make it work (of course removing most of the first mods you did). gotta love it! i m doing it for the second time now. LT1, 4L60E, dodge NP208, 14B & D60.

i'll let you know how i like the auto, almost done.

dodge Np208 ?

YUCKY np208!!!!!!!!!! I would have to say this is the only transfer i will never run, and i would consider a np203 stronger but with length issues. SLIP yoke only rear output< and its longer then crap.

dodge has 23 spline input, 4l60e is a 27 spline output. SO i assume late model 4l60e (6bolt mount) to a dodge case with the chevy input?

208 would be alright for a daily streeter i guess.

After a little thought and consideration, I think I may go with a 700R4 auto. Now to decide on trans/transfer case adapters... anyone have any experiece with Downey or AA? Right now I am leaning towards Downey's short adapter (1 1/2 inch) just to keep a little extra lenght for the rear drive shaft. (BTW anyone looking for a Turbo 350 auto?)

Gumby - you know I think the same has happened with me.

Eskimo - Thanks for the info, never even considered Marlin - and have always had the best dealings with him and his products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom