Tucson - anyone have a bead breaker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to remove some tyres off a set of wheels. Various experimentation with my floor jack wasn't that successful. Anyone have a beak breaker I could borrow?

Initially read the title as "bread baker" :rolleyes: thought to myself: Ben getting into some baking, nice! :doh:

Initially read the title as "bread baker" :rolleyes: thought to myself: Ben getting into some baking, nice! :doh:
I read it the same way . . . I guess bread minds think alike 🍞

This isn't my photo, but this is how I break my tyres down. Usually works great on steel rims but alloys are a pain. Looks like a bottle of something soapy on the bumper to help. After you get the bead broke you still need to get the rubber off the rim, which is even harder without the proper tools. Maybe Discount Tire would take them off for cheap.

1600144659440.png

Well that’s not untrue. If anyone wants some sourdough starter for bread baking in exchange for bead breaking, let me know 🙂

Those little one man tire shops in the less than stellar neighborhoods will do it on the cheap.

I read that too. My first thought was ooh Ben (@D_Web) was going to be trying his hand at gourmet breads

I was a truck stop tire repair man for 5 years.

We often used what is known as a "duckbill bead hammer" to break loose the tire bead from the rim. I used the version with the steel duckbill on one side and a flat steel hammer on the other. Method was to position the duckbill on the wheel to tire bead joint the hit the flat end with a short handle 8 lb sledge hammer until the bead broke. Go all the way around both sides.

Then you need a couple of tire "spoons" to pry the tire off the wheel.

Most drop wheels are asymmetrical. There is a wide side and a narrow side. The tire must be pried off from the narrow side.

Reinstall the tire from the narrow side. Lube the beads with soapy water first. Use tire spoons and a rubber mallet to get the beads on the wheel.

Remove the valve core to air them up until the beads seat (more air flow). The reinstall the valve core

Amazon product ASIN B008PV9SS6
I bought these tools at a farm supply store much cheaper. Maybe Harbor Freight has them as well.

I have one of those Harbor Freight tire tools. Completely worthless mounting tires on rims. But has worked at getting tires off the rim. To break a bead I have used the high lift jack trick multiple times.

I read it the same way . . . I guess bread minds think alike 🍞

This isn't my photo, but this is how I break my tyres down. Usually works great on steel rims but alloys are a pain. Looks like a bottle of something soapy on the bumper to help. After you get the bead broke you still need to get the rubber off the rim, which is even harder without the proper tools. Maybe Discount Tire would take them off for cheap.

View attachment 2436220
I go this route, and a pair of Ken-Tool truck tire irons. Once you get the hang of it, not too difficult if dealing with stuff under 10 ply.

Not sure what the pieces are that are missing or if available at a decent price. But not being able to dismount the tire is huge. If it was complete would probably buy it just to dismount tires. Being able to dismount is a must. Would be nice to mount them and then has a shop balance.

This should work for dismount.

View attachment 2437939

Huge difference between $60 and $300. Lot of money to spend to dismount tires. Bought the HF tire changer mainly to dismount old tires off of rims I want to keep. Did Google the Coats 220 tire changer and see it's for motorcycles. Add mentions missing clamps for car and utility wheel. Doesn't sound like it was meant for cars much less SUVs. Switching around tires on vehicles. Putting usable rims tires on my rollers. That will give me at least a dozen tires to dismount. Have a few other very old cruisers I may part out. That probably another dozen tires.

I think I'll put this one in the too hard basket and just have the tyres removed when I buy my next set. I've changed tyres on steel wheels before (with much frustration), where there's not too much worry about damaging the rim, but alloys are another matter.

I have stripped several tires, used the bottle jack from my 80/100. Set it on the tire with the foot right at the edge of the bead. Slid under receiver and raised the jack. If the truck is too tall, put a drop down receiver in and jack up the truck under that. Some took 2 tries, but I stripped 6 wheels in about an hour. It gets fast once you figure out the process. I have also used this bead braking method to replace damaged valve stems, seems like good bush practice just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom