Tubeless (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

R

RAF

Can you put tubeless tires on older pre disk brake FJ40 steel wheels?

Sure. No problem.
Ed

Good luck finding anything else!

unless they are 16" split rims from a fj45 you will not need tubes

Thanks
I guess that means that they will hold air with no modifications?

You need to make sure your rims will hold a seal. i.e. they are not dinged or have bends in the part that the tire rest against. Best thing to do is take it into a tire store, they should be able to look at the rims. If they have a problem, you can find places that sell used rims and tires. I replaced the spare tire wheel for a wheel that matched the rest of my wheels for $35 (aluminum). These places negotiate too! Find their price and take offf 10-20% and tell them thats what it would take to make the deal. Pick the % by how much they are charging.

For passenger and light truck applications, wheels that required tubes disappeared back in the 50's. THe only passenger vehicle I've ever experienced with tubes was an MG with the spoke racing rims, and hub nut mounting setup (like race cars) w/ no lug nuts. Unless you're into vintiques or spend several years working in a tire shop, chances of ever encountering such a vehicle are very slim.
Granted, rims that have been beat up, or have rusted around the inner beads are very susceptable to leaking.

if you have tube in it know i bet the rim bead set was rusty and leaking lots of people do that to make up for leaky beads... if that is the case wire brush the rims till all the "shail" is gone and repaint them to make up fo the rough surface get the tire shop to use bead sealer ... its like ruber cement for tires works great to keep the beads on when you air down too :cheers:

Thanks to everyone. I dont want to use a tube, I just bought a set of rims for my cruiser that originally used them. I am going to media blast and repaint them before putting a new set of BFG AT's on them. And thanks kling-on for the tip about the bead sealer.
Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom