Trust, but verify---98 LC Timing Belt (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My recently purchased 1998 LC did not come with the Maintenance Supplement to the Owner’s Manual, therefore I went to the Toyota WebPage and downloaded it. I noted that at 90,000 miles Toyota recommends Timing Belt Replacement under Special Operating Conditions 3 (“Extensive idling or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxie, or patrol car”.) While I was on the Toyota Site I wandered around and came across a FAQ titled Timing Belt Maintenance. This FAQ states:

“If your vehicle is a 1999 year or newer and is equipped with a timing belt, you should replace it every 90,000 miles or six years, whichever comes first. For all other Toyota vehicles equipped with a timing belt, we recommend that the timing belt be inspected with the other drive belts at 60,000 miles or four years whichever comes first, and every 15,000 miles thereafter and replaced as necessary. Because the costs involved with inspecting the timing belt may be similar to those of having it replaced many customers may find it more cost effective to replace the timing belt at 60,000 intervals.”

It then goes on to state that severe engine damage can result if the timing belt breaks.

This had me perplexed since it indicated that my vehicle was due a timing belt replacement. For this reason I called my local Toyota Service and ask them if I should replace my timing belt at 60,000 miles. The man assured me that I needed the replacement and further stated that the new belt would need replacement again after another 60,000 miles.

The more I thought about this the more curious I became. Everything I have read indicates that my 98 has the identical engine to that in the 99, so why would the 98 require timing belt replacement at 2/3 the mileage of the 99?

So, back I went to the Toyota Service WebPage and ask, via e-mail, what was the actual recommend replacement mileage. Today I received the reply:

“We do apologize; upon comparing the information in our FAQ to additional resources, we found that there is a typographical error in the FAQ. Model years prior to 1998 were built with timing chains which required no maintenance. Your 1998 Landcruiser will have the same maintenance interval as the 1999 servicing interval.”

I am troubled that the Toyota service department gave me bad information and recommended and expensive procedure when it was not needed. Since this is my first experience with Toyota, I ask the questions: Is this typical of Toyota service? Do I need to do due diligence before I deal with these people? And even of more concern, is the data on their WebPage suspect?

You will hear that this does and does not represent Toyota service. Personally it doesn't reflect the service I recieve from my Toyota service rep. If I were going to trust any cruiser related webpages it would be the pages here at ih8mud. A prime example would be to do a search on "timing belt" in this forum and see the wealth of information. It dwarfs that of Toyota. I would also suggest calling and talking with the service folks as well, you may get a different "vibe" over the phone.

Lastly, without a doubt, the 4.7L V8 from model years 1998 through current has a 90k mile service interval on all LX470's and Land Cruisers.

Trust but verify is definitely true! It happens on here all the time.

Tad Abraham

Desert Rat- I would trust the owner's manual maintenance information more than anything else including what you may find on Toyota's website. This is a minor mistake on their part- you should spend the $ and get the real deal- the original manuals. This problem never would have come up if you'd had one in the first place.

they are still wrong...............no cruisers use a timing chain, they are gear driven up thru 97 then belt in 98.......

90K for 98+ is the correct answer

Timing belt intervals were 60,000 miles for years and in the late 90's Toyota lengthened the interval to 90,000 miles. Nothing else changed, just the recommended interval. Not sure how that works, but...:rolleyes:

Oh, Pimp...........

Maybe my motor wigged out because it had one of these in it. I found it when I pulled the timing cover.....:rolleyes:
thesource.JPG

Let me ask this question--what is more important, the 90K miles or the 6 years? We purchased a 99 with 35K miles. Should I have the timing belt checked/changed with the next service because this would be 6 years? Or should I just wait until 90K miles?

Appreciate the response.

whoops.............up thru 92 they used gears...........then a chain ;)

sleeoffroad said:
Huh??? you better buy something with a 1FZFE and pull the head :grinpimp:

This is opinion but I would say whichever comes first. Rubber is going to age even if the vehicle has been sitting for an above average amount of time. 90,000 if usage is frequent enough and 6 years if it's not. Again it's just my opinion but I would change it if it were me :)

Tad Abraham

i would have it inspected at the least. many times the dealer does not change it at 90k if it's still looking good, the 6 yr and 90k is a guideline to use

tabraha said:
This is opinion but I would say whichever comes first. Rubber is going to age even if the vehicle has been sitting for an above average amount of time. 90,000 if usage is frequent enough and 6 years if it's not. Again it's just my opinion but I would change it if it were me :)

Even with inspection, it's hard to say whether the T-belt should be changed or not. On my other vehicle, with less then 60k but 10 years old, I changed it. The removed belt looked new, hardly any visible cracks on the inside and outside of the belt.

To inspect the t-belt on the 2UZ, does one have to remove the radiator, crank pulley, and all that stuff? I looked briefly at a 1KZ-TE (3 liter turbo diesel) FSM and it seemed like the entire belt was accessible w/o having to pull the radiator (it sits in this plastic "case" with clips to open it like on the air filter box). OTOH, maybe I was imagining things.

I'm not sure of the specifics Jim but it is pretty labor intensive just for an inspection. That's why I say go ahead and plan on a change if that much effort is going to be exerted. The part itself is dirt cheap. (less than $50)

Tad Abraham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom