True Hi9 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have built them in our fab housings....whats your question?

Lar

Poser has one. His rig is the heaviest MOFO on the planet and it is standing tall.

I was going to run one this last time around, but I could not stomach the $500 premium over the Moser Bling Aluminum 3rd that I chose :D

They are nice and in my opinion the only way to go if you need a high pinion in the rear of a vehicle.

Just wondering if anyone is running, True Hi9's, in custom housings (Diamond axle, Spyder 9 etc) in their Land Cruiser?

Thanks!

I have been running a 4.86 geared, 1350 forged yoke, sold spacer, (no crush sleeve) 35 spline ARB’ed unit since the spring of 2005 in a Sunray housing I had them make so that I could use a Warn full-float axle kit as well. It now has CTM axle shafts and drive slugs. This differential has seen 1K miles off road and at least 5K on-road miles in the last three years, and has performed flawlessly since installation. When I am ready to build a new front axle for a buggy, it will have a Hi9 center section in it.

I am not a huge personal fan of the whole Hi9 thing unless it is needed in an application. I think the standard 9 is a much, much better choice in the rear IF it can be made to work.

Jim is just giving me crap because I said it was the best option for a HP rear. It is, even though I chose not to run one myself.

It is all good...and even in the rear, worlds stronger than a Cruiser 3rd :D

Here are a few pics. I agree with Grogan, If you can get away with (or do not need a HP) a low pinion 9" in the rear, that is what you need to run.
FF9Low.jpg
FF9HI.jpg

Thanks guys. I need a high pinion in the front and rear. Running 40's (michelins) on my BJ70 and the drive shaft angles are less than optimal... both shafts are around 28". I am going to start with the rear and end up doing the front sometime 2008. Just wanted to hear some feedback from those who have tried the True hi9 centre. Likes and dislikes. I am thinking that I may go:

TrueHi9
35 Spline ARB
All options: 1350 Forged Yoke, solid spacer, 2nd load bolt

Diamond Axle Housing (offset pinion for LC Tcase)
Full Floater
64" axle width

Cheers!

Rob

hate to say it, but swap to a centered rear housing and a different t-case for strength....

my rear driveshaft is 26" flange to flange, on a Cruiser hybred-centered rear diff with a Dana 300 case. I run a CV at the t-case and the pinion points straight at the output....with a center limit strap, there is no chance of bind...and I use 100% of the 14" 5150 shocks during articulation....

nothing against a hi9 but you lose the option to "slide down" the shaft onto the housing with a hi pinion....

nothing against a hi9 but you lose the option to "slide down" the shaft onto the housing with a hi pinion....

You mean use the driveshaft to slide the rig?

What you talkin about Willis?

no, he's talkin bout when you midgets are under there wrenchin o n em.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure that I really need to swap the LC TCase as I haven't broken one yet. I know there are much stronger cases out there. The axles will be overkill as I haven't broken my longfield front axle or any LC rear axle. My rig is not really driven buggy like or used for really xtreme stuff like the comp rock crawlers. I would say it is more used like a safari truck... i know the 4 link (15" KingCoilovers front, 15.5" Firestone Airbags rear) and the 40's are overkill. :grinpimp:

I am running a turbo'd 3B diesel, the H55 5 speed tranny and the split case with Marks gears ( 8% Under 2High, 55% lower 4 low). I know that there are lots of options to tcase swap with the v8's... not sure how I would swap the TCase and stay with the Toyo 5 speed and the mod'd 3B (AXT turbo (currently pushing 15lbs), interrcooled, True Flo XDI Cummins/F350 Intake... to Snorkel, blah, blah)

I am really after the high pinion due to the long highway trips, daily driving .... the driveline vibrations are not bad, and I know if I just changed my driveshafts (again... uhg) that would help some... but am a bit of a perfectionist. I really think the truehi9s in custom axles would give me a nicer, dare I say (vibration free), more stockish feel and really nice driveline angles. I frequently run 12 hour highway legs or longer... to multi hour logging road runs into hunting destinations. The real 4 wheeling that this truck sees is to get me, when driving in, to remote hunting spots. ie. Leaving next week from Van, BC, Canada to Mackenzie, then 550km down logging road to south east side of spatzizi wilderness (Alberts hump). Moose and Grizz tags in hand :D

Any options or suggestions on TCase swap that allows me to keep my engine tranny combo and do the centered axle (truehi9, diamond axle)?

Thanks!

Rob

Talk to Mad4wd here on the board. He builds custom axles just like Spider an Diamond.

Be ready to spend around 12-15K US on 2 full custom, ready to bolt in axles like you want.

The transer case you have in your Cruiser will hold up fine for what you are doing.

yeah, with the split case you shouldn't have issues....I assumed it was the earlier one-piece case....

happy shoppin :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom