Truck Camper + Gooseneck = ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For about $50 and a couple hours labor you could add an outside shower to the camper, using it's water supply and a shower tent. The shower in our Lance is big enough for Debi & Holley but I usually pitch the tent and use the outside shower.... very convient.

Exterior RV Showers on Sale.

Badass woody! I've been thinking about a similar setup myself.

Question about your tow-rig. I assume the 2500 SRW in the pics is what you pull with. Have you ever had that trailer loaded down with two rigs? (I'd imagine so, otherwise what's the point of a trailer that long) How'd she do? I've got a crew cab short box duramax and have always wondered what that kind of load would tow like. Biggest I've ever towed is a 26' enclosed bumper pull.

I've done a number of trips with both the fJ40 and the fzj80 loaded...last long one was about 3000ish miles from WI to MO to UT (thru CO) to WI....averaged about 12mph according to the truck computer :)

can't complain about that...tows nicely, handles well...

I've done a number of trips with both the fJ40 and the fzj80 loaded...last long one was about 3000ish miles from WI to MO to UT (thru CO) to WI....averaged about 12mph according to the truck computer :)

I saw this setup in Moab, but had I been passing you on the Interstate and saw a 40 AND an 80 on a trailer... both built.... I think I'd mess in my pants, front and rear.

The CLC guys have 2 instant hot water showers and 1 could be sold. Used once and work fantastic! Add propane and a water supply and you have a good hot shower. Lot's of expedition trailer guys have used this set up. Give me a shout if you are interested.

that was same setup as I used down at the 2008 Southern Cruiser Crawl and was extremely impressed....I think I am going to pick one up to use up at our cabin...

So do you still have this gooseneck+camper? I'm looking to start a similar project. Would you recommend this now that youve done it? I have a noice 2015 8.5' camper I would like to use for a project like this. Did the camper hold up? Looking forward to an update.

Just to echo what Dan said, you'll want at least 2" to 3" between the overhead bunk and gooseneck for trailer flex. I built up a base for mine out of treated 4x4 then used a single layer of horse stall mats (heavy rubber) to deal with trailer flex.

Something else to consider is adding some insultion board to the ouside of the camper before enclosing the bottoms. Our furnaces seemed to run more when we moved from the truck bed to the trailer and those areas aren't typically insulatd from the factory.

Looks good!
Sounds like you have experience with this kind of set up. Did you like it? Did the camper hold up? What advice would you give to someone looking to start a gooseneck trailer project?

Looks great Woody. Same on the flex issue. Also, really brace the snot out of your tie down system. I thought I had mine done well the first time I pulled it before adding the side boxes and I was WAY wrong. Almost lost it when one trailer wheel droped in a ditch in a tight curve. I was quick to build the side boxes after that. You just don't realize how much truck campers rely on the "box" to keep them in place. Just my $.02 Brother.
Sounds like you have experience with this kind of set up. Did you like it? Did the camper hold up? What advice would you give to someone looking to start a gooseneck trailer project?

I liked it a lot and the slide in held up fine for several years. Sold it to a friend in TX and he used it for several more. I switched when I needed to haul two rigs and didn’t want to pull a GN that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom