Troubleshoot my head unit powering on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 LC and my aftermarket head unit will not power.

I installed a Sony aftermarket head unit around January of this year. All was fine until my alternator failed and I had to jump my car (multiple times). One of those times may have blown my radio fuse(s) with improper jump connections. I have since replaced the 15a radio/dash fuse that was blown and I also replaced the fuse on my head unit that was also blown. Reconnected the headunit and no response.

I plugged in the stock radio and it fires up fine, so now my attention is at the wiring harness and the head unit itself. I checked every wire in the wiring harness using my multimeter to check if there was any breakage or if I did a s***ty soldering job - all wires have a solid connection. I checked the red power wire when the car started on the wiring harness and that also came back fine.

So I thought perhaps my headunit was just fried - so I bought a new one. Connected it...then nothing.

This is where I'm stuck. What else can I check to diagnose the issue? Not an electrical expert so there has to be something I'm missing.

TIA

I installed a Sony aftermarket head unit around January of this year. All was fine until my alternator failed and I had to jump my car (multiple times). One of those times may have blown my radio fuse(s) with improper jump connections. I have since replaced the 15a radio/dash fuse that was blown and I also replaced the fuse on my head unit that was also blown. Reconnected the headunit and no response.

I plugged in the stock radio and it fires up fine, so now my attention is at the wiring harness and the head unit itself. I checked every wire in the wiring harness using my multimeter to check if there was any breakage or if I did a s***ty soldering job - all wires have a solid connection. I checked the red power wire when the car started on the wiring harness and that also came back fine.

So I thought perhaps my headunit was just fried - so I bought a new one. Connected it...then nothing.

This is where I'm stuck. What else can I check to diagnose the issue? Not an electrical expert so there has to be something I'm missing.

TIA

Sounds like you have melted your power wire on your radio harness, the little one you spliced up so you can plug your aftermarket radio in

i can only assume when you tested power it was after you unplugged and tested right to your stock radio harness.

TIA
An avionics equipment there's something called a reverse polarity diode. Perhaps it blue if they have these in standard everyday AM FM radios? I would find a consumer electronics shop in your city and see if they could scope out the power supply part of the radio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom