Troop Carrier Rear Axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It appears that Troop Carriers could come with either full or semi floating rear axles. Why?

Dont know why exactly but I've seen a lot more troopy's (in America at least) with full floaters instead of semi. In fact I do not think I've ever seen a troopy with a semi besides mine... which is the ultimate base model BJ75 with no power steering, A/C, literally nothing. So I just figured it had all the worst options for to be the cheapest, including a semi float in the rear.

I don't know if it adds to the discussion, but the old troop carriers I've seen here in the Middle East were used a lot as school busses in very rough mountainous terrain.

I thought that all troop carriers came with full floaters, but apparently not...

It appears that Troop Carriers could come with either full or semi floating rear axles. Why?

Its a market based thing. Toyota give the dealer principal an order list and they tick the boxes. There are lots of things that can be ordered. Apart from axles, there is the electrical system ,either 12v or 24v, the dust sensor on the airfilter, the instrument panel gauges. Aircon and power steering are another 2 that can be ordered or left out.
The troop carriers are pretty much identical to all the other 7*n series in these regards but they are most like the cab chassis.
The nations with the highest income usually get the best equipped landcruisers.

Thanks for the info. I wish Toyota would've offered all those options on the LCs they sold over here.

Perth is supposed to be a great place. Are you familiar with what some people call "The Banjawan Incident?"

A remote Australian cattle station, where the Japanese terrorists, that released Sarin toxic gas in the Tokyo subway in the mid 90s, may have produced and tested the toxin. But how is that related to semi-float LC axles 🤔 .

I think that was directed at rosco, felde. But some strange things can happen in the middle of no where. Maybe the aum were driving lc's too.. probably rear drums so full float, chit chat:)

I think that was directed at rosco, felde. But some strange things can happen in the middle of no where. Maybe the aum were driving lc's too.. probably rear drums so full float, chit chat:)
Four great Australian mysteries:

- The disappearance of Herold Holt
- The dead man on the beach at Somerton Park
- The Explosion (or whatever) at Banjawan Station
- The reason why Troop Carriers could have either full-or-semi-floating rear axles

Last edited:
Hello,

I hate to state the obvious, but full floating axles have the wheel hub mounted on a flange. In this way, if the axle shaft breaks, the wheel hub remains attached to the axle. This setup also allows for a little more load. It is also more expensive than a semi-floating axle, which lacks the flange -and lets the wheel hub go away when the shaft breaks.

Some countries require full floating axles on vehicles like the 70 Series, mostly for added safety. Most do not care.

I understand Australia deemed full floating rear axles on Land Cruisers as mandatory a long time ago. The same applies for rear disc brakes.

Juan

I will respond that as the owner of a 1995 troopy, I would not do that. The half inch of difference is so small and I get very nervous about spacers in general. I had to use them on a RJ77 but I did not like it. The extra complexity and one more failure point in a very critical area, makes spacers a non-starter for me.

Last edited:
What about pre-1999?

AFAIK, all the 7* series before 99 were the same specs that you pointed out. I cant see the point of spacers for such a small distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom