Troop Carrier Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Peeps,

I am looking at a troop carrier 3 door wagon style. Its a very rare rig in this part of the world and you might end up finding a handful even if you look hard.
Now i figured it is a 1991 3.5ltr, 5 cylinder in line 5 engine & to my surprise it comes with a 4 speed gear box.
Now I have no clue how this engine & gearbox performs, can someone please guide me where I can find some info on this or can you share what is your take on this vehicle?

Thanks a ton
Shashi

Hm... inline 5 cyl? Wikipedia says that there was a BJ73 with a 5 cyl engine- largely EU markets though. This is not a popular engine- the 1HD or 1HZ are more popular engines for the 70. I know Troopys are rare in your area but I would be pretty skeptical of that vehicle unless you had maintenance records that you could trust. Finding parts for that engine might be pretty challenging.

Toyota Land Cruiser (J70) - Wikipedia

If this is a 75 series troop carrier the motor will be the 1PZ 5 cylinder. Now, if this is a mid wheel base 73 it could potentially be a VM 5 cylinder but I kind of doubt it as all the VM powered cruisers I've ever heard of had a 5 speed h55 trans. Do you have any pics?

It should be the 1PZ with an R141 transmission. This was the spec for a lot of NGO's/mine trucks.
The ratios are good for slower/offroad travel but it will not handle long highway use well.
R151 is an easy swap, but swapping to a H55 is the ticket for long term use while getting rid of the specific clutch/flywheel for the 1PZ.

My Troopy feels just fine with the 3.5L engine, but a 5 speed box helps a lot.

Getting spare parts specific to the 1PZ is not easy now, mostly you will be relying on used parts if you can find them. It still has a lot of parts commonality with the 6 cyl 1HZ.
The 4sp gearbox is not uncommon in developing countries. Its a direct descendant of a Supra gearbox from the 70s
If its a troopy, it will be a PZJ75. If its a mid wheel base, it will be a PZJ73.
No reliability issues with the engine and drivetrain, but its ideal cruise speed will be around 90 kph. I think the fuel consumption would be about 10-11litres/100klm but that's a guess.

Thanks all for the info, Yes its the PZJ75 LWB Troop carrier you can see the pics here 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser for sale in Goregaon, Mumbai

Coming from where I do, getting tranny's for these are next to impossible. I have to drive this as is. I am looking to covert this into a simple camper (w/o poptop) so there might be some offroad and trails but mostly highway overland use. I already have a 1HDT and a few of our friends also have 1HZs. I believe most of the spares come from 1HZ, is that true as we have access to 1HZ & 1 HDT spares here

I've got the 1PZ it's good motor, with the MT ideal cruising speed is around 100-110. Weighted down it's not a fan of the mountains but it'll do it.

I believe most of the spares come from 1HZ, is that true as we have access to 1HZ & 1 HDT spares here

Yes ,because the 1PZ is a 5cyl version of the 1HZ.

A small turbo charger helps the 1PZ to come alive if you end up buying the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom