Trip Prep, not your vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
We all have either a written or mental check list for our vehicle and gear when prepping for a trip.

But what about personal stuff?

I have always made sure to trim my toenails and fingernails the night before a trip. Because a torn fingernail or a to long toenail rubbing inside your boot will ruin your day.

I usually make sure to buzz my hair down to 1/4 inch, easy maintenance.

I always carry and extra pair of prescription glasses because seeing stuff is important.

Starting this summer I will stop taking dietary supplements that act as blood thinners one week before any trip. Tumeric and fish oil for example.

What do you do?

Ditto on the head shear, shave and nail clipping, but paired up with a most thorough shower.

My little tip is to carry free cologne samples in my hygiene kit for when appropriate. Easier than a full bottle.

I think you guys are focussing on North America? If going broader:
Keeping your nails short is in fact quite important when visiting countries with a lower hygiene, less build up under your nails.

I think you guys are focussing on North America? If going broader:
Keeping your nails short is in fact quite important when visiting countries with a lower hygiene, less build up under your nails.
In general shorter nails are good, for hygiene and because you are less likely to rip a nip when stacking rocks or just doing camping stuff like gathering firewood etc. Few things are as annoying as a nail that has ripped into the quick.

Shower and a good night's sleep.
Though the latter can be difficult with the host of last minute thing that always seem to appear.
Just getting to sleep is always a problem for me, anticipation, reviewing mental check list etc.
A good thing to do is have a note pad and pen on the night table, once I write down those things I forgot I seem to be able to get to sleep better.

Wet naps/baby wipes are essential in my experience

Gold bond powder for the nether regions and feet. Chafing aint fun.

I stay off the drink before long drives, and don't touch coffee. Plenty of water while driving and I wind my window down and let fresh air blow through every 1/2 hour or so.
I also like to study my maps the night before and get a good idea in my mind of the area I'm driving.

Reactions: N22
Baby wipes are key. Keep the immodium in your pocket, and take it at the first hint of trouble. If you are crossing a lot of time zones try to add in an extra day or so to adjust, and use benedryl or melatonin to help you sleep the first couple nights in the new time zone. A ball-point pen, a little pocket flashlight and a swiss army knife (scissors, tweezers, and bottle opener) are worth their weight in gold.

Hydrate! I consciously drink 2l of water a day for 2 days prior to any extended trip. Trips always involve activity, altitude, heat or a combination of all three. Add to that driving dehydrates you and.....
beer.
What?
NO!

First trip in bj. Forgot all kinds of stuff. Detailed lists would have helped. Storage boxes need to be built to fit in. Was worth the lil hardships to be away from people for 4 days though. Saw moose and super cute pure black wolf cub twice. Caught stupid numbers of walleye on virgin lake. Thank you land cruiser.

image.jpg

A hair cut, pre trip shave and man-scape, then hit the road. Driving is very much a mindset. I can jump in a vehicle and go all day and all night if need be. I also like my forward cockpit area to be squared away with a minimal of clutter and distractions. This helps me stay focused on the drive and better get into the zone of eating up miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom