Trimble Recon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody out there use a Trimble Recon (it uses the Terrasync software)? Do you like it? Other than the manual and Trimble's website, do you know of a website that really describes how to get going with such a unit? Thanks, Dave

I used a Trimble unit about 20 years ago, and it was a good, reliable piece of gear. The USMC replaced all Magellan units with Trimble and life got better :D

I have a few GeoExplorers, 4 Junos, and I've used ProXRSs with Ranger data loggers. I like the Trimbles, they work well and they are pretty easy to use. But unless you are going to be doing surveying or other precise work you don't need a Trimble. The Recon field computer itself is about $1700, the GPS for the computer is about $1300, the TerraSync software for the field computer is about $1300, and then the Pathfinder Office software for your computer so you can download the software from the field computer is about $2000. So for the full set up you would be looking about about $6000 (you can get package deals). Check out trimble recon gps handheld mobile gis software unit model for more info. This is where I have bought my units- they have been very helpful and easy to work with. Good Luck!

I used a Trimble unit about 20 years ago, and it was a good, reliable piece of gear. The USMC replaced all Magellan units with Trimble and life got better :D

I remember using the Trimble Trimpac way back when also (Desert Storm). The one he is asking about is a bit newer. ;)

Does anybody out there use a Trimble Recon

I am a Land Surveyor and use the Recon daily for our data collection and field calcs.

For OUR use, i peronsally cant stand the "Touch Screen" only function (no keypad) and IMHO they have VERY poor durability and we are replacing the touch screens about once ever 6 months

Not impressed, especially for the $! I am one of the lower guys on the pole, so i have no say in what gear we use, but i have grown to really dislike them! :(

Look at the Trimble RANGER, its a little more $, but FAR superior in EVERY aspect!

Thanks for your input Mangler--I already have the Recon (am learning more about the ESRI 9.2 system and the Terrasync software now that my obligations for a prior project are met) but did not realize that the Recon is not a "field rugged" as I thought it might be--might use some kid gloves when I take it outside--thanks again, Dave

The Marine Corps using them right now. When I was in Iraq I had one in my truck, it was simple to use and you good load music on it so that kept moral high on long ventures. They are a bit pricey but I would love to have one in my cruiser

Thanks JonnyFJ--Good to know you had some comfort over there--I reconnected with an old friend from the Kansas Geological Survey at KU who may can help me with georeferencing etc soon---good for me too since I don't know:censor: about this technology---Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom