Trickle Charger - 2001 LX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone used one of the power points (cigarette lighter type) in the LX470 to trickle charge the battery? With C19, I work from home and haven't been driving as much. I'm noticing a sluggish start when I do take it out (once a week or so). I'd like to be able to plug into a power point and keep the battery charged. Other option is direct to battery with the trickle charger, but would prefer running it to one of the power points.

I have a 2000 LC. My cigarette lighter doesn't work when the ignition is off so I can't charge the battery that way. I have a Noco Genius NOCO - Genius - https://no.co/products/charging installed under the hood. I have dual batteries so I bought one that keeps two batteries charged. I just plug it in and it does all of the work

Got the problem fixed, thanks to Hoser. I made the wiring bridge and set it up. Then, I've been using the power point in the rear. I opened up the driver side vent window, ran the trickle charger in and connected. Overnight, the battery has pretty much been fully charged. I'll probably have to reset the clock once I go for a ride.

I set up the wiring bridge in the relay box so the RH power outlet is always on.
Then I used 3 tabs of double sided tape to mount a small solar panel on the dash top.
This is plugged into the RH power outlet & the panel stays in place year round.
it is enough to keep the battery charged even if the 100 is parked outside for a over a month.
I drive with this connected & the tape is enough to hold the panel in place off road.
Obviously does not work inside a garage but as my 100 spends most of its time outside, it always starts.

1621207933287.jpeg

You would have to mod the accessories plug(s) to be always on.

anyone done this in the 03-07 100s? Same ACC pins but in the kick panel?
I set up the wiring bridge in the relay box so the RH power outlet is always on.
Then I used 3 tabs of double sided tape to mount a small solar panel on the dash top.
This is plugged into the RH power outlet & the panel stays in place year round.
it is enough to keep the battery charged even if the 100 is parked outside for a over a month.
I drive with this connected & the tape is enough to hold the panel in place off road.
Obviously does not work inside a garage but as my 100 spends most of its time outside, it always starts.

View attachment 2675985
what is the output of that? I have one of the cheap HF ones I was using on an atv.

Harbor freight makes a great charger that has a plug in lead that can be brought out through the grill like a block heater. Plugs in to that harness. Nice price, they charge all 6 and 12 volt batteries both standard and AGM.

what is the output of that? I have one of the cheap HF ones I was using on an atv.
Mine is about 10 years old & I think it is 1.5 watts like your HF link.
It basically produces more power over 24 hours than the 100 uses so keeps the battery stable.

The DS Cowl Junction box is a bit tricky to remove especially if you are 'larger than average' person. IMO, it would be easier to just rewire a single accessory plug to be always on. Plus, less chance of draining your battery if you accidentally leave an accessory charging/plugged in.

I connected a small extension cord directly to the battery and ran the SAE connector out of the grill. Connected to a solar trickle charger mounted outside when I'm not driving every few days and working from home. A mostly weatherproof setup that's worked well for several months, I've used an AC tickle charger as well.

Products used:
SAE to eyelet cord: Amazon product ASIN B07XYW65HDSolar trickle charger: Amazon product ASIN B07XNZZHK5

I jumped my relay and have my power plugs always on and keep one of those solar charges plugged into it. It says 12v but checked with a meter and it's more like 24.
The truck sure seems to start strong vs getting a little lazy if I don't drive it for a week or so.

I jumped my relay and have my power plugs always on and keep one of those solar charges plugged into it. It says 12v but checked with a meter and it's more like 24.
The truck sure seems to start strong vs getting a little lazy if I don't drive it for a week or so.

Would there be an easier way than removing the panel and accessing the ACC relay around the foot well? (If the only goal is to be able to use a cigarette lighter port to trickle charge.)

Actually I noticed that when I plug in the solar trickle charger to the CIG lighter port (and engine off, key not in ignition switch), the navigation lights up for a few seconds, and then the clock lights up the whole time. Does it mean it's actually charging the battery? Or maybe the clock is temporarily powered by the trickle charger, and there is no electrical connection between the clock and the battery?

Has anyone used one of the power points (cigarette lighter type) in the LX470 to trickle charge the battery? With C19, I work from home and haven't been driving as much. I'm noticing a sluggish start when I do take it out (once a week or so). I'd like to be able to plug into a power point and keep the battery charged. Other option is direct to battery with the trickle charger, but would prefer running it to one of the power points.
small recreation trickle size
Solar panel to SAE TO OBD-II adaptor works great

1.5W @13VDC is 115mA. Not much.
I have the HF one as well and doesn't do much if anything for me. Especially in winter in Montana where i don't see the sun. I have had good success with a cheap black and decker maintainer from Amazon that i wired a cigarette lighter adapter up to. I did jump the relay in the fuse box so the ports are live at all times just to note. It was -36F ambient this morning and hadn't started in a few days and while doors, hvac fans / controls were all frozen battery was still strong and fired right up. Unlike my kids Denali and Acadia that were frozen and clicking. I did plug that same charger into my kids vehicles for about a hour each and was able to wake them up and get them started as well. Its a nice easy set up that stays in the cabin and unlike plugs 🔌 in front of the vehicle you dont forget and drive off while still plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom