TRD Super charger on Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems like everyone is talking about putting supercharger on their Cruisers. Anybody put one on a Taco? Mine is an '06. What did you notice, was it worth it? MPG's? Does it do more than a cold air intake? I read you can't use it with cold air intake and that you must. What gives? Any thoughts/input appreciated. Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here but couldn't find anything specific to Tacoma. Thanks in advance.

Know a guy that had one on an 01 Taco. Lots more power but had to use premium unleaded.

I wouldn't recommend putting it on a high mileage Tacoma - you're pretty much guaranteed to wear your engine out.

Anybody have thoughts on the cold air intake? Less stress on the motor? Noticeable performance enhancement?

Seems like everyone is talking about putting supercharger on their Cruisers. Anybody put one on a Taco? Mine is an '06. What did you notice, was it worth it? MPG's? Does it do more than a cold air intake? I read you can't use it with cold air intake and that you must. What gives? Any thoughts/input appreciated. Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here but couldn't find anything specific to Tacoma. Thanks in advance.

Toyota Territory Off-Roaders Association (TTORA)
Custom Tacos

There's quite a few of them installed on the 4.0 V6 - probably more FJCruisers than Tacomas. TRD brought their prototype supercharger (for the 4.0 V6) out to a TTORA event in New Mexico many years ago, and they were letting people test drive it on the dirt roads. It's a nice upgrade! But's also over $3000 IIRC - plus installation. :steer:

This is what my brother is seeing firsthand at his Toyota dealership. He has had at least 4 Tacomas come in with blown engines with superchargers installed at over 100k on the odometer. Could be that whatever issues the Tacoma had regarding compression were only compounded when a supercharger was installed. I guess the key here is to make certain that the engine has no existing "issues" before installing, or those issues will only be exacerbated with a supercharger bolted on.

Just making a personal recommendation here based on (semi)personal experience. The numbers may speak otherwise, but it scared me out of the idea - and I am pretty anal about maintaining my truck.

Last edited:
This is what my brother is seeing firsthand at his Toyota dealership. He has had at least 4 Tacomas come in with blown engines with superchargers installed at over 100k on the odometer. Could be that whatever issues the Tacoma had regarding compression were only compounded when a supercharger was installed. I guess the key here is to make certain that the engine has no existing "issues" before installing, or those issues will only be exacerbated with a supercharger bolted on.

Just making a personal recommendation here based on (semi)personal experience. The numbers may speak otherwise, but it scared me out of the idea - and I am pretty anal about maintaining my truck.

All depends on the engine, which is why I claim your statement is false. How it was cared for and if adjustments were made for fuel and driving style are all key. I have friends who installed them at 150 and (IIRC) 180k with no issue. Highlighted is the key component.

bkg said:
All depends on the engine, which is why I claim your statement is false. How it was cared for and if adjustments were made for fuel and driving style are all key. I have friends who installed them at 150 and (IIRC) 180k with no issue. Highlighted is the key component.

How do you think one would do at 261k? :)

How do you think one would do at 261k? :)

W/o knowing history, I'd never put $$ on that bet either way. Would *I* throw an SC on it? Probably not... not w/o a full leakdown, scope and bearing check...

bkg said:
W/o knowing history, I'd never put $$ on that bet either way. Would *I* throw an SC on it? Probably not... not w/o a full leakdown, scope and bearing check...

That's what I figured. Same argument I had for the 100k truck. But I think by now we've completely hijacked this thread so I'll move on.

I plan on replacing my 22R with a supercharged 3RZ in a couple years, it looks like a good way to boost performance without increasing the number of cylinder.

Economy will depend on how you drive, most SC's are about 4 pounds of boost, not that much at all, so either you will drive it expecting more, and pour more fuel down the hole, or you can get used to the added power, and the economy would be slightly better.
It would be great for highway mileage, because it would cut down your RPMs pretty well at cruising speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom