Transmission shifter locked in Park (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eighteen11R

1811SAR
SILVER Star
Threads
So we just bought a '07 FJC for our daughter and on the way home all the Warning Lights came on; ABS, VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, and assuming Traction Control (vehicle with skid marks) 😏 There was also a flickering red 4x4 lock light? that never really came fully on too.

I gave the PO a call and he advised he had only seen it happen to him once, of course he had, after owning the truck for ~18 months. The PO mentioned that his mechanic told him it was a brake light switch problem but he never saw the issue again so he never fixed it. We never saw the issue during the test drives either. The PO advised during cooler ambient temps, the switch will not overheat but as the temps warm up, failures can present. Again, the guy said he only saw it once... By the time we got home with it, the lights went out.

This morning we were unable to get the shifter out of Park. My son found the manual override button and we were able to drive it. I attempted a Search here, I must be doing something wrong, and got nothing. I did a Google search and found the old thread in the HUNDY Tech threads.

Do the FJCs have the same Brake Light Switch issues as the 100s? Is the fix the same? The old thread suggested a very quick fix by removing the brake pedal exposing the switch. Is this the same here? What causes the switch to fail?

Cheers mates,
G

Last edited:
I dont really have any direction to fix it, except maybe getting in there and making sure connections are not loose or corroded.

I can say this is not currently a common problem at all with FJCs.

No aftermarket alarm or remote start on it right?

Those lights (well, usually 4 of them) could come on for TONS of reasons....gas cap could be loose ect..... so you really need to pull codes to see what it could be.

I dont really have any direction to fix it, except maybe getting in there and making sure connections are not loose or corroded.

I can say this is not currently a common problem at all with FJCs.

No aftermarket alarm or remote start on it right?

Those lights (well, usually 4 of them) could come on for TONS of reasons....gas cap could be loose ect..... so you really need to pull codes to see what it could be.
It seems that it is a one-off issue in our case from what I attempted to find here on MUD. Just strange to me and that it only happened once to the PO. His wrench advised the fix would be by a brake lamp switch I guess. Cheers for coming up on the net Sir.

Yeah, this is a real head scratcher. I've never heard of any issues like this one.

I'm at a loss too. :confused:

This morning she fired right up and came out of Park without incident. I scheduled to drop it off with our family vehicles mechanic and advised him of the issue (possible brake lamp switch replacement) and want him to go through it to see what we may need to make it safe/reliable for our 16 year old daughter... She needs rubber to be sure but I'll feel better knowing what our Honest Toyota Professional and Fan has to say. :hmm:

He was jazzed that I kept her out of a JEEP...:rofl:

Got her back from our YODA Master Wrench after replacing the Brake Lamp Switch and a Purge Valve sensor. All codes cleared and stayed away so were going to drive it for. We'll wait a while and see what presents. 😏

We've got to do some rubber next...I know better than to ask what people find to be the best all-around rubber but the BFG T/As are dry rotted badly and very bumpy and loud. Picked up some used 17" FJC wheels (4) off Craigs List for $75.00 per wheel that are better than the originals so we should be able to make a set of five with a little TLC. There is probably a thread that addresses the corrosion issues on these wheels as it looks like the moisture gets under the paint and blisters the finish. Has anyone found the right combo? Media blasting, wire wheel, fiber glass and sealing prior to repaint?

Cheers mates,
G

Last edited:
Got here back from our YODA Master Wrench after replacing the Brake Lamp Switch and a Purge Valve sensor. All codes cleared and stayed away so were going to drive it for. while and see what presents. 😏

We've got to do some rubber next...I know better than to ask what people find to be the best all-around rubber but the BFG T/As are dry rotted badly and very bumpy and loud. Picked up some used 17" FJC wheels (4) off Craigs List for $75.00 per wheel that are better than the originals so we should be able to make a set of five with a little TLC. There is probably a thread that addresses the corrosion issues on these wheels as it looks like the moisture gets under the paint and blisters the finish. Has anyone found the right combo? Media blasting, wire wheel, fiber glass and sealing prior to repaint?

Cheers mates,
G
I would have them blasted and powder coated for maximum durability.

The lights are back on this morning but the shifter was free to move and no start.

62454238989__022753F2-53C4-49BD-9BA4-78C229B1B4F3.jpeg

Went to neutral and still no start. Jumper cables attached and she started right up. Battery is now on the trickle charger but me thinks a new battery is in our future mates...

This FJ has been super thus far. It's the little things/baselining that slip through the cracks I guess.

Cheers mates,
G

Put the battery on the smart charger all day yesterday and upon checking on it this morning she was still attempting to charge... After pulling the old battery, I found the original purchase sticker of JUL'16. Made a run to Walmart, and purchased one of their EverStart, Platnum 24Fs and installed it. Turned the key and started right up.

So I guess four+ years of battery power storage service is better than a sharp stick in the eye... ;^ )

Cheers mates,
G

New battery installed and we still have a Battery lamp. :frown: Looks like alternator test is next with an alternator replacement to follow... :inpain: On the bright side, tomorrow is going to be a nice day but my day off plans didn't include an alternator R&R... :p
Cheers mates,
G

Pulled the alternator this morning and went with a REMAN 130 amp earmarked for the Tacoma w/trailer towing option as many owners have mentioned. I went with the local AutoZone for less than the price of the 100 amp FJ replacement.

Wow, the YODA mechanics must all have very small hands and long skinny but muscular arms to get into the tight spots for bracket removal and replacements. My old fat hands and Popeye forearms took a beating today... :p

Cheers mates,
G

You know your getting old when your knees, back and hands hurt after tackling a simple alternator swap... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom