Transmission Problems/Rear Axle Problems - 1997 HJZ75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I have a 1997 HZJ75, its having some transmission and rear axle problems though and I need some help.

Every time I go into 5th, it goes in, but there is no drive, its as if there's just no 5th gear at all. What would be the main cause of this, and how do I repair it?

Also, when I drive the vehicle, when I accelerate there is a slight clunk in the rear diff. Lets say I'm starting to accelerate and I switch from 1st to 2nd, there is a slight clunk coming from the rear of the vehicle. It only happens when I accelerate after the revs drop, would it be the axles or diff? A friend says it could be something to do with the bearings but I need some more advice before I think about doing anything to it.

Thanks, Declan

Also, when I drive the vehicle, when I accelerate there is a slight clunk in the rear diff. Lets say I'm starting to accelerate and I switch from 1st to 2nd, there is a slight clunk coming from the rear of the vehicle. It only happens when I accelerate after the revs drop, would it be the axles or diff? A friend says it could be something to do with the bearings but I need some more advice before I think about doing anything to it.

This could be a worn U-joint that needs replacing. When they wear, excess play is introduced and the result is a clunk when you go from off to on throttle.

Slightly off-topic. But I am having the same issue with my ATM FZJ80. Every time y accelerate and it changes gear, or when I let down the gas, I hear a "clunk". Will check for advice on this thread.
Cheers

Every time I go into 5th, it goes in, but there is no drive, its as if there's just no 5th gear at all. What would be the main cause of this, and how do I repair it?
Nobody commented on this issue yet..
I'm not an transfercase or gearbox expert, but here are my 5 cent how I would approach the issue...
If the gearbox itself would have a serious issue, I would expect any symptoms to be heard or felt. So I suppose it is not making it into 5th gear at all and would first check on the linkage...
1. Recall what happened when it first failed. Any strange sound or special operating situation?
2. Find out in what condition it actually is gearwise when supposed to be in 5th but not working. Still in 4th or in kind of free spool? Jack up the vehicle an check by turning the propshaft / wheels.
3. Systematically check the linkage from lever to the gearbox.
4. Drain gear oil trough a strainer and check for debris. The kind of debris (if any found) may tell what the issue is.
I suppose it is a H55F gearbox. The 5th gear then is actually a separate unit attached to a 4-gear box. It thus comes with additional linkage.
I assume this linkage came off somewhere, causing the shift-fork for 5th not to be moved any more.
You can get an impression on how it works and the fastening elements from the pic below.
(The full H55F repair manual is available from this source, which is referenced in the 70 resources thread, too )

Screenshot_20210827-112959_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I'm afraid you need to pull the trasfer case, to get to the top of the gearbox in order to remove the case cover.
I haven't ever done this, so maybe more experienced people can comment on the HowTo procedure, please.
Good Luck.
Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom