Transmission Problem in reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am the proud owner of a 97' lexus Lx-450, my problem is this last weekend we were exploring in a near by area, and when we put transmission into reverse in deep sand, it did not move, but made a grounding noise, it appears to be coming from the torque converter area. It shifts properly on the street, so i did a little experiment, I put on reverse applied the brakes and press the gas untill i got to 1800 to 2000 rpm, then the grounding noise appeared.Do you guys think is the begining of a dead trans?
I always do my PM and this is the very first time I have this problem with my Transmission, my LX-450 has 88,000 miles, but have done a lot of towing in the mountains in the past with no problems! I am also waiting for the FJCruiser, but seems like I may have to trade up very soon! Any comments suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Dan will imply your transmission doesn't have enough balls to do the job.

There is a TSB on the issue. You might get Lexus to take care of it if you have their extended warranty. The symptoms are intermittent and this is probably not the beginning of a dead tranny.

-B-

TSB? What is TSB, sorry for asking but not familiar!

Technical Service Bulletin. It describes how to add more balls to your tranny and where to put them.

C-Dan's the expert on the 343 tranny

Tranny_TSB.jpg

-B-

Last edited:
landtank said:
Actually there is another TSB covering the engagement of reverse.

Can you post it up? I don't think I've seen that one.

-B-

Not to start a debate.......

But you guys and yer 4runner trannies are hilarious

Mine does not chatter when shift into neutral or park, actually if you would drive or shift on an everyday driving style, you could not be able to notice a problem at all, only when you apply force or gas in reverse, applying the brake, that I get the noise. Sounds like the throw-out bearing making noise on a standard tranny, however it is automatic! Should I trade it in before it gets worse and or they could be able to tell there is a problem with the transmission?

88k miles and El Paso is pretty close. If it has lockers, send me a PM and I'll come take that thing off your hands so you won't have to go through the hassle of trading it in.

:grinpimp:

-B-

No Lockers and I was told itmight be the transfer case, however i see no leaks! I will be looking into a 2005 Tacoma Crew Cab today with the TRD pkg. Rear Locker!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom