transfer spewing oil! ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I got a lot of help from you guys here when I noticed a whine while driving.
I thought I had it narrowed to the wheel bearings.

But I crawled underneath the 60 today and saw something scary.

There is a ton of oil leaking onto the front driveshaft, I think its from the tranny or something, cant see too well.

The rear diff is leaking oil a bit where it meets the rear driveshaft. The oil is actually being sprayed onto the unserside of the car. And the Transfer case has thrown oil everywhere. It and the center of the car are SOAKED in oil.

What will this cost me to fix? And is THIS the noise I was hearing?

Alex

Over time, seals tend to wear and cause leaking.. I just resealed the trans and transfer case while they were out of my 40 and it went quite easily.. the two transfer case seals (where the driveshaft connect), are pretty easy to get to. Disconnect the shafts and pull the seals accordingly.. I have not replaced the sealsa at the diffs yet, so I am of little help there.. leaky seals should not cause a mechanical whine, unless the trans or transfer has been w/out lube for quite some time.. leaks happen.

Mike

" There is a ton of oil leaking onto the front driveshaft, I think its from the tranny or something, cant see too well."

I would verify the type of oil that is leaking. Could be engine oil, could be gear oil. Both have very different smells. What engine/trans/tcase is in this vehicle?

"The rear diff is leaking oil a bit where it meets the rear driveshaft. The oil is actually being sprayed onto the unserside of the car. And the Transfer case has thrown oil everywhere. It and the center of the car are SOAKED in oil."

This one is fun...Your rear differential pinion seal is leaking on your rear axle. When you have this replaced, make sure that the yoke,(piece that the driveshaft bolts to)is not grooved up. If it is, your new seal does not stand a chance to hold in the gear oil. Sounds like the rear out put of the t-case could be leaking too. Look on the other end of the driveshaft from the rear diff, and see if it is wet around there too. If so, you will need to change that seal out also.Remember to look at that yoke also, to make sure that it is not grooved up and damaged.

About the noise..

Have you checked any oil levels in any of the components? Rear axle? Trans? T-case? If one or any of these are substantially low on fluid, you could have damaged something, and this could be your noise. You could just have something in one or more of these that is wearing out, and making the noise, or it could be something completly different. Might not be a bad idea to drain the oils in these components, and look at the drain plugs for metal fines/chunks.

Good luck!

Sounds like you'll be tearing apart the transfer case this weekend. Check you transmission oil level. I'll bet the the oil will pour out of the transmission oil FILLER hole. That'll mean that the seal between the tranny and transfer is toast (a common '60 problem). You can rebuild the transfer while the tranny is still in the truck (I've done it twice). Get a gasket and seal set from Toyota and the shop manual, if you don't already have one. Expect to spend all day Saturday doing it if you're relatively mechanically inclined. A shop will be 12-16 hours as they'll pull the tranny/transfer to do the work.

Anyone have any suggestions about where I can get these parts?

Good and cheap, and also, to replace all the leaking seals and bearings on the diffs, can you all please tell me what to ask for?

Like say I call up a parts place and tell them I need "the seal and carrier bearing for the rear differential output flange."

Basically, I don't know what to ask for :whoops:

Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, its an HJ60. so 4.2L diesel with 5speed tranny.

Alex

For the transfer you'll need all the gaskets and seals. They are not too bad from Toyota. About $70 for all of it for the transfer. The local parts guys likely will not have anything anyways.

Alex, if you are in the US, try http://www.heartoftexas.com (might be heartoftexasoffroad.com, can't recall) I know they have good prices.

to make the order simple, get a rear pinion seal and a transfer gasket/seal kit. May be a bit more than ya need, but lots has to come apart to change everything, so may as well have it all.

Also, checking the oils first for levels is important...you may find yourself pulling it, doing seals and gaskets, and then discovering that the low oil levels caused damage that needs more significant repairs, like bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom