Tranny issues h41 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wheeling my 40 this weekend and everything was fine until I started coming down the mountain. It first happened in third gear but also started to do it in fourth gear. As I would decelerate and engine break the tranny started to grind gears almost as if it was trying to come out of the gear in was in. I was still able to drive it home as long as I kept the engines rpms at a constant level. So I left the tranny in neutral a coasted down the hill. I have a h41 with a f motor. Anyone ever have this happen to them or know what's going one? I pretty much know where I should start just want to make sure I'm not doing work for nothing. I'm going to pull the tranny hump off and take the top plate off the tranny and take a peek. I figure this is started than dropping the tcase and tranny. I got the h41 from a honest and releiable source. If anyone can help me out or at least tell me I'm on the right track that would be great. By the way I pulled out this jeep in the middle of a river crossing I was nice enough to pull him to the parking lot. But one of the guys asked me if I knew what was wrong with it
I told him there can be alot of things wrong with it, it's a jeep!! So he gave me some cash and I left. I couldn't wait to tell that story

Hi All:

Fred, sorry to hear about the tranny problem! :frown:

I have to think that this is not a H41 specific issue, but searching under "H42 four speed" might also bring up some useful info.

Best of luck - hopefully it is something simple and cheap to fix!!

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom