Trailer hitches, roof racks and other BJ74 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I have an '87 BJ74 and I'm wondering about putting a trailer hitch on it. Are there any special considerations?
I'm also wondering if the fj40 suspension is the same as on the bj74.
And lastly, does anyone have any experience with roof baskets mounted on the FRP top?
Cheers,
You guys are always helpful.
Later,
mondaynext

i have used the 4 wheel auto hitches and noted a couple things.
one: the bolts they ship with the hitch are wrong and you can get the proper bolt thread pitch from a bolt shop.
two: the design of the hitch is fine for towing but for extraction puroses the design allow too much twist upward and can actually twist the frame. i suggest if you are going to use your unit in the bush to get the proper bolt thread pitch and bolt the "hoop" back on over top of the 4wheel aout hitch for a straight pull on the frame crossmember...

note:
i have mentioned the thread pitch to Kevin in the past so the bolts might be the correct ones now so double check.

Also with the 4wheel one, note the lack of a rating. No class size. So I would think it was meant for stuff like bike racks etc. Now it is probably tuff enough for towing class one.

150 tounge and 1500 towing is class one right???? I can't remember.

but those bolt on hitches look alright IMOP.

you can get bolt on ball/pinto hitches from Princess auto for a reasonable price and the holes line right up...

Class 1: 2000# gross trailer 200# tongue weight
Class 2: 3500# gross trailer 350# tongue weight
Class 3: 5000# gross trailer 500# tongue weight

I'm also wondering if the fj40 suspension is the same as on the bj74.

No. Rear leaf packs are the same as the 6* series. Also the bushing eyes are larger then the early FJ40 series. The bushing eyes are BJ/HJ60/42/70 size, or said another way post 1981 HD LC leaf sprung sized.

And lastly, does anyone have any experience with roof baskets mounted on the FRP top?mondaynext

For a few ideas:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=89512

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=49098

hth's

gb

Class 1: 2000# gross trailer 200# tongue weight
Class 2: 3500# gross trailer 350# tongue weight
Class 3: 5000# gross trailer 500# tongue weight

thanks!

class 1 is higher than I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back