Trailer brake wiring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a nice looking home-built flatbed trailer that would be perfect for towing a 40. The brake lights, turn signals, and markers are all wired nicely. However, the brakes are not wired at all. It is a dual axle with drum brakes on both axles and the seller/builder says they are electric brakes.

How difficult will it be for me to wire the brakes to function properly using a standard brake controller? Are there pre-made kits of any kind for this application?

Many thanks!

The trailer should have the round 7way RV style end, All you need to do is wire up a E-brake controller & install a 7way on your tow rig.:cheers:

Should think about adding a small battery to the trailer and a break away switch, just in case the trailer decides to take a trip without you.
GG

The trailer should have the round 7way RV style end, All you need to do is wire up a E-brake controller & install a 7way on your tow rig.:cheers:

My tow rig already has a brake controller wired and 7-pin round connector (its an '02 GMC Denali that came factory wired for a brake controller - I just added the controller using the supplied pigtail).

The trailer has a 4-pin connector right now - just for the lights and turn signals. I know I need to add wiring for the brakes (the brakes are there, they just are not connected so no wires, no nothing right now). I just don't see how they get connected. I was hoping for a simple clear spot to attach wires and then run that wire back to the tongue and add the 7pin connector.

I guess I'll need to dive in and really look at those axles and brakes again.

this is no sweat... each wheel has two wires coming out of it black/ white or any combo.. doesnt really matter..all of same color are added together and either grounded... or taken to front of trailer(you can take both its just more wire). On the cap of your triler plug(you said you drove a gmc right?) it will tell you which position is the brake wire.(you can buy the 7 oin connector at any automotive store. and just wire it to the instuctions it comes with and you'll be good to go ... or stop;)
Dave
I give it one and a half bananas...:banana::banana:

The trailer has a 4-pin connector right now - just for the lights and turn signals. I know I need to add wiring for the brakes (the brakes are there, they just are not connected so no wires, no nothing right now). I just don't see how they get connected.

You said it was a home built trailer - you need to disassemble those brakes and see if they are really trailer axles and brakes. Makes all the difference in the world. You may also be able to see if there is a master cylinder on each wheel without taking anything apart. If there is then you don't have electric brakes. If they are electric then you can get all the parts at any trailer shop.

My tow rig already has a brake controller wired and 7-pin round connector (its an '02 GMC Denali that came factory wired for a brake controller - I just added the controller using the supplied pigtail).

The trailer has a 4-pin connector right now - just for the lights and turn signals. I know I need to add wiring for the brakes (the brakes are there, they just are not connected so no wires, no nothing right now). I just don't see how they get connected. I was hoping for a simple clear spot to attach wires and then run that wire back to the tongue and add the 7pin connector.

I guess I'll need to dive in and really look at those axles and brakes again.

Doesnt the brake lights come from the truck? On my boat it does... should come through the 4 pin..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom