Trail Tire, IROK or TSL? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting me a set of trail tires after I get my suspension set up right, and these seem to be the most inexpensive ones in 36 size.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...Name=TIRES&man=INTE&linecode=INTE&prodline=24

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...me=TIRES&man=INTE&linecode=INTE&prodline=2091

These are gonna be for East Coast wheeling, mostly Uwharries, and as little mud as possible.

I know neither will balance worth a dang, will probably use BBs or Golf Balls, and will probably suck on the 15 minute trip down the road, but I can't decide which would be my best option.

actuelly i hear that useing eathior works much better than normal balancing (will go over why if interested) if you can put up with the noise of the ping when you stop. i hear irock is better, but i have no first hand experance

There are several balancing methods that go inside the tire. The biggest benefit I can see is that with weights, you will have to re-balance your tires every time you wheel- I tear a lot of rubber off every trip. I like the Centramatic wheel balancers in theory, but apparently they don't fit the front wheels on an 80.

What really sucks is that when you drive on your tires when they are unbalanced, they get worn out-of-round. That's an expensive fix.

-Spike

tires

Jus my .02. Consider the SSR in your decision. I have had 2 sets, one in 33" and one in 35" on my 93. I am nothing but pleased with them. West Coast people will pipe in about the chunking of the tires on the grip of MOAB. I have found that they will do this in the east also but nothing that much different than I have seen other tires.

They ride excellent on the road, very quiet, balance well, and siping makes a real benifit in the show and water. They are so quiet that with the 35s I have on my 40 I can here a Rubicon approaching just by the noise of the MTRs.

I run about 14lbs or air on the trail and have yet to loose a bead, never had one fail and have ran some tough trails and also done alot of woods running where branches and stumps can take their toll.

I have watched the IROKs on the trail and they are excellent tires, I would be concerned about road wear.

Another thing to think about is weight. I used to trade out tires all the time. A SSR weighs about 135lbs mounted on a steel wheel. I have over 15k in back surgery that convinced me that maybe changing them as often was not a good idea. Blew my back at Tellico putting trail tires in a trailer.

You will probably leave them on more than you think.

in my opinion, i think you really need to find another place to purchase tires. I purchased my last set of tires from them and will never buy from them again. Tons of hidden fees, also one tire was pulling badly and 4Wassholes wouldn't do anything about it except sell me another tire. Customer service is trained to talk you into buying more stuff instead of fixing the issue.

IROK 36" are 13.5" wide. I think you probably need wheel spacers either way, but you will require them with IROKs.

Is snow wheeling in your plans?

Neither tire will balance perfectly but I was running some 38.5x14.5 TSL SX's and on 15" rims and they balanced pretty well with just standard weights. The tires are very stout and handle almost anything you throw at them.

IROK's are pretty good tires too and since they are lighter they should balance easier (The TSL is quite heavy). The only thing I don't like about the IROK is that there is a very high tread void which could make the tire more vulnerable to puncture while driving over sharp objects.

Nay said:
IROK 36" are 13.5" wide. I think you probably need wheel spacers either way, but you will require them with IROKs.

Is snow wheeling in your plans?

Wheel spacers wont bother me, but how much do you reckon I'll need?

Snow might be an option, just depends on if it snows here or not.

I'm running 13x36-16 TSL's on stock rims with no spacers. I love the bias tsl's and will more than likely go with them again next time. I balanced mine with bb's and they are great on the road once they warm up. They do flat spot, but it isn't bad. If I don't run the TSL's I will run the TSL SX's next time. I don't think the IROK's are a good option due to the width. Keep in mind these are HEAVY tires. One unmounted 36" tsl is 70lbs. The factory alloys are 26lbs so you are looking at near 100lbs per corner. One good thing is the unsprung weight makes the truck feel quite stable.

These wont be on the truck unless I'm going to/at/or coming from the trails (young enough to change them every time), so flat spotting shouldn't be an issue.

Concrete, I'm not buying from 4WP, just looking there because they have alot of options and a good search feature.

I don't mind BBs, powder, or golf balls in the tire. I believe it balances a big tire better than weights, and means I wont have to rebalance just about ever.

Just a note about tire purchasing from online retailers. If they advertise "free shipping", make sure it is to YOUR door and not a truck terminal. I recently avoided such a mistake by a narrow margin so I thought I'd give you a heads up!

Ali

Equal works well to balance tires as well.

I used it in my 38.5" SX's when I had em.

For what it's worth, I can do all of URE with my 35" BFG A/T street tires. I hardly ever put my MT/R's on if I'm just hitting URE.

Unless it's raining out there (ugh red clay mud) an A/T does well.

The pic in my avatar is me playing on Kodak rock on Rocky Mount Loop.

Of course.. I'm locked F/R/C as well.

YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom