Trail Ratings - stock, moderate, hardcore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

With the fall gathering talk ramping up and spring on its way we will be out wheeling and I thought it would be good to come up with some loose, agreed upon definitions for:
  • Stock Trails
  • Intermediate Trails
  • Hardcore Trails

Your truck must be in good running order to run any trail. Please keep in mind that damage can happen on any trail. Even on "stock" trails your truck will most likely have branches sliding the sides giving it some new "pinstripes". You will hit your axles, frame, undercarriage on rocks and sometimes encounter water deeper than your average puddle. If you dont want any of this to occur, you should not bring your truck into the woods, rather, ride shotgun with someone the first few times to see what it is like. Moving along to trail descriptions...

Stock Trails
  • The purpose of running a trail like this would be to learn the ways of your vehicle offroad, enjoy the outdoors, learn to work vehicle recovery and have lots of fun
  • Stock trails will most likely be class 4 roads, wide logger roads or trails cut very wide.
  • These trails should be suitable for all size rigs from the big 60/62s and 80s down to the 40s and the occasional 25.
  • These trails should not require a lift of larger tires but your vehicle suspension should not be sagging too much or you could be hitting your undercarriage more than you would like
  • Body damage is not eminent but as always, it could occur
  • Deep water crossing not likely but could happen and will always be scouted properly
  • Breakage not likely to occur if your vehicle is sound
  • Decent All Terrain tires are about the only requirement
This (Stock rating) includes the following Moab definitions:
  • 1 - All weather dirt or gravel road. Can be passed in a 2WD car.
  • 1.5 - Graded road. Usually passable in a 2WD vehicle but 4WD may be required in poor weather.
  • 2 - Unimproved or rarely graded road. 4WD or extra clearance needed at times, with no special driving skills required.
  • 2.5 - Road rarely maintained. 4WD, extra clearance, and low gear often needed. A bit of driving experience useful.
  • 3 - Road in difficult terrain, rarely maintained or repaired. 4WD, good clearance, and low transfer case gears essential. Some driving skill required.

Intermediate Trails
  • can be done in a stock vehicle. you will be pushing its limits!
  • 33" tires and a lift strongly suggested
  • rear locker suggested
  • Winch would be ideal but not required
  • Body damage likely to occur, especially for wagons
  • Breakage will most likely occur on someone's rig so patience while it gets fixed is required (last time out i popped my birf.)
  • Riding these trails will be challenging for the truck and the driver... pucker factor will be high:eek:
  • There will most likely be no place to turn out and exit early. When these trails are embarked upon there are few options once you get started
This (Intermediate rating) includes the following Moab definitions:
  • 3.5 - Road in difficult terrain, probably maintained only by occasional users. Excellent stock truck or utility vehicle required, with considerable driving skill needed.
  • 3.5+ - Not quite a 4 but usually too much for many stock vehicles.
  • 4 - Trail in difficult terrain or badly eroded, only repaired enough to get well equipped vehicles through. Modifications for improved off-road performance and top driving skills needed.
  • 4+ - Like a 4 but worse. Low gears, large tires and limber suspensions required. Limited-slip or Locking differentials strongly recommended. It's common to have as many as 10 percent of the vehicles to experience catastrophic damage (gears, axles, driveshafts) on these trails.

Hardcore
  • Not to sound like a tough guy but if you have to ask dont run with this group
  • Rear locker required
  • 33" tires at a minimum - 35" tires recommended
  • Winch
  • Body armor
  • Body damage will occur
  • Breakage very likely
  • Rolling is a possibility
  • Hell of a good time though!
This (Hardcore rating) includes the following Moab definitions:
  • 5 - Locking differentials necessary. Winch urgently recommended. If only 10 of the vehicles suffer catastrophic damage you're lucky. Rolling your vehicle on these trails is a very real possibility.

Last edited:
This is a very good start.

My 2 cents,

Moderate (or Intermediate):

Some stock or almost stock vehicles can handle moderate trails, so 33's and a lift should be a recommendation. I ran MaBell in my stock 55 without issues, lost my exhaust on Cemetery Hill, both intermediate or moderate

Hard core:

can be done with 33's and lockers.

At least rear locker required

Difficulty is a subjective quality. The driver and vehicle must be taken into consideration. We have all seen what the stock FJ Cruiser can do with experienced driver at the wheel.

Pete,

I appreciate you starting this, it's a great conversation to have with the group.

I think it's important to point out that damage can happen on any trail so if you are a person who can't bear a scratch on your rig (and there is nothing wrong with that) then stay out of the woods, period.

Paragon's rating system:

Red - Damage is inevitable. Rig must be heavily 'quipped. Very difficult terrain.

Black - Vehicle damage likely. 31"+ meats optimal on moderately 'quipped rig. At least one locker recommended per rig, and at least one rig in party w/ 8k+ winch.

Blue - Vehicle damage possible. Stock rig w/ experienced driver rec'd. Beware, moderately difficult terrain.

Green - Rig damage unlikely. Some challenges to offer the newbie. Scenic.

Moab's
The Moab ratings are as follows:

1 All weather dirt or gravel road. Can be passed in a 2WD car.

1.5 Graded road. Usually passable in a 2WD vehicle but 4WD may be required in poor weather.

2 Unimproved or rarely graded road. 4WD or extra clearance needed at times, with no special driving skills required.

2.5 Road rarely maintained. 4WD, extra clearance, and low gear often needed. A bit of driving experience useful.

3 Road in difficult terrain, rarely maintained or repaired. 4WD, good clearance, and low transfer case gears essential. Some driving skill required.

3.5 Road in difficult terrain, probably maintained only by occasional users. Excellent stock truck or utility vehicle required, with considerable driving skill needed.

3.5+ Not quite a 4 but usually too much for many stock vehicles.

4 Trail in difficult terrain or badly eroded, only repaired enough to get well equipped vehicles through. Modifications for improved off-road performance and top driving skills needed.

4+ Like a 4 but worse. Low gears, large tires and limber suspensions required. Limited-slip or Locking differentials strongly recommended. It's common to have as many as 10 percent of the vehicles to experience catastrophic damage (gears, axles, driveshafts) on these trails.

5 Locking differentials necessary. Winch urgently recommended. If only 10 of the vehicles suffer catastrophic damage you're lucky. Rolling your vehicle on these trails is a very real possibility.

Trail descriptions provided by Red Rock 4 Wheelers.

Thought I'd pop this back up. The NEA is looking at adopting JonFund's system....

http://www.jonfund.com/schedule/trailrating.shtml

1-2
OEM 4WD w/ low range Very mild trail with the possibility of small rocks or mild mud/water crossings. 4wd may not be needed for entire trail.

3-4
30" aggressive (MT or AT) tires and disconnected sway-bars. Mild trail with moderately demanding mud and/or rock work. Obstacles will require the use 4wd.

5-6
31" aggressive tires plus 1 traction aiding device (Limited Slip or Locking) OR a winch Mildly demanding trail with the possibility of deep mud/water crossings. Rocks will be larger so the use of undercarriage protection is recommended

7-8
33" tires 1 locking device OR a winch. Demanding trail with the likelihood of getting stuck. Moderately large rock/bolder work should be expected.

33" tires 2 lockers OR 1 locker and a winch Extreme trail with large rock/bolder work. Expect you vehicle to be at extreme angles. Likelihood of getting stuck is high. Body damage should be expected.

35+" tires 2 lockers and a winch Most extreme trails reserved for drivers who feel they are highly experienced. Body damage should be expected and welcomed! Very high likelihood of breaking/getting stuck. Roll over protection is strongly recommended.

Trail Ratings
Area 51 1-2
Cemetery Hill 7-8
Florida Rd. 6-7
Gutter 3-4
Lakeview 2-3
Legendwood 1-2
MaBell 4-5
Old Chester 3-4
Pain Hill 1-2
Stone Gardens 7-8
Trail in Vane 8-9
Whispering Spines 2-3

My guess is their ratings are based off a short wheelbase rig (Jeep) so I would guess you would maybe "Plus 1" or "Plus 2" for long wheelbase (Wagons, etc.)

I find most trail ratings systems way over rated. And don't really follow them. I usually make up my own mined about how difficult a trail is. I know what my truck is capable of doing and can handle it in most situations.

I find most trail ratings systems way over rated. And don't really follow them. I usually make up my own mined about how difficult a trail is. I know what my truck is capable of doing and can handle it in most situations.

its about setting expectations. some people appreciate that. i sure do.

Setting Expectations is good. But some times you need to push the envelope and see how far you really can go. You'd be amazed.

Setting Expectations is good. But some times you need to push the envelope and see how far you really can go. You'd be amazed.

But trail ratings aren't about "you." :) :p You and other guys with built rigs and tons of experience aren't really the focus of a trail rating system. :) Trail ratings are for newbies and the less experienced so they have a general idea of what they are getting into on each trail. That's why every major offroad park has a ratings system of some sort.

Of course everyone should get out there and find and stretch their limits, that's 4wheeling. BUT, you HAVE to be able to give everyone a good idea of what a trail is like BEFORE they travel to it, before they run it, before they bend sheet metal.

From a Club standpoint, and planning runs where we invite all levels of people to come, we HAVE to have a better system.... this is a pretty good start.

Last edited:
Stock run for the meeting will
be rated on the MOAB scale 2.5

Lane

But trail ratings aren't about "you." :) :p You and other guys with built rigs and tons of experience aren't really the focus of a trail rating system. :) Trail ratings are for newbies and the less experienced so they have a general idea of what they are getting into on each trail. That's why every major offroad park has a ratings system of some sort.

Of course everyone should get out there and find and stretch their limits, that's 4wheeling. BUT, you HAVE to be able to give everyone a good idea of what a trail is like BEFORE they travel to it, before they run it, before they bend sheet metal.

From a Club standpoint, and planning runs where we invite all levels of people to come, we HAVE to have a better system.... this is a pretty good start.

thank you david. my sentiments exactly. it is based on a trail rating the people can determine how much they want to push their trucks - that is up to them.

Stock run for the meeting will
be rated on the MOAB scale 2.5

Lane

thanks lane. how about the other section?

okay... i added most peoples feedback. the trails can now be easily identified by saying something like...

"stock - 2.5"

this gives people used to the ole stock, intermediate and hardcore something easy to take a look at and it also provides more detail because you can refer to the specific number.

how about the other section?[/QUOTE]

The Other trail is an Intermediate 4 : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom