tracking down a creaking/popping noise... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a terrible creaking and popping from what seems to be the front right wheel well. I can bounce the car to replicate the creaking, and the popping seems to happen when the weight transfers from side to side, typically when loading the right side. Everything in the front suspension is new within the last two years outside of the shocks, but I removed the shocks and the noise remains. I also disconnected the sway bar and it remained. The steering rack and bushings were replaced last year and everything is tight there. I've done a lot of self diagnosis and had two shops look at it... no one can figure it out.

The last and seemingly more competent shop suggested body mounts could be the culprit. Does that sounds like a possibility? How would I test that theory? Thinking about trying to wedge some wood between body and frame to see if the noise changes.

What else should I take a look at?

Thanks!

Visually inspect everything (loose bolts, perished rubber, turn/leaky boots) but IMO pay particular attention to the ball joints.

If you had them replaced with something not of excellent quality it is entirely possible they are shot again. I replaced a set years ago with Moog (on a GS), and it was peachy for about 2 years and then began behaving as you describe. It was particularly vocal in cold weather, after it rained or when first driving. Lesson learned.

To check them: jack up the truck by the frame rail so that the tire is just off the ground. Then put a pry bar under the tire and lever it up. If you hear anything or see any vertical play there, they are suspect.

Good time to check other stuff while you are down there - diff mounts, sway bar bushings and end links, TREs, bearings, etc.

I replaced the whole lower control arms with oem 2 years ago. boots are in good shape. uppers are SPC which I replaced last year.

I have disconnected the sway bar and it didn't fix anything. I might pop the TRE off and try that. I think the diff bushing has been changed too but I'll check.

Grease the SPC uppers and also the driveshaft. Even if you did it recently, I would do it again. It is easy to do and free if you have a grease gun.

Can you show someone how to replicate the sound/motions so you can crawl around under the vehicle and inspect different areas?
Don't forget to check the cushions/mounts for the front diff, could be one of those areas too.
Skid plate or anything on while doing this?

Can you show someone how to replicate the sound/motions so you can crawl around under the vehicle and inspect different areas?
Don't forget to check the cushions/mounts for the front diff, could be one of those areas too.
Skid plate or anything on while doing this?

Skid plates are off. I'll check the diff mounts. I tried to have my wife help but she is too small to rock it enough.

Skid plates are off. I'll check the diff mounts. I tried to have my wife help but she is too small to rock it enough.

You could always pop the shocks off again and tell her to try harder! This is a Land Cruiser and not a Jeep. She won't break anything!

If it is something with the diff (or drive train in general), shouldn't he be able to replicate the noise by moving between R->N->D slowly with his foot on the brake?

so it was the sway bar! I had disconnected it from the LCA's but somehow as still making the noise... once I removed the whole thing it's gone. So strange.

so it was the sway bar! I had disconnected it from the LCA's but somehow as still making the noise... once I removed the whole thing it's gone. So strange.
NICE!!

Ah the relief of a mystery solved. Was it the rubber bushings on the frame?

I think it was between the bushing and bar. The inside of the bushings were pretty dirty

I really need extended front links but it looks like Trail Tailor is sold out :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom