Creaking/rubbing noise from steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got the steering column replaced about a year ago. Noticed this sound minimally and assumed it would go away with time, but it’s gotten exponentially worse to the point of testing my sanity. It sounds like maybe something is rubbing? It’s really loud.

The shop that did the work moved out of town a few months ago so I never got a chance to take it back in.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this??

Edit: tried to post the video but couldn’t get it to post. The sound is just like a loud creaking with even the slightest turn of the steering wheel to the right or left. If anyone can tell me how to post a video I’ll upload one, but only seeing options for photo.

Thanks!

A little more info now that I'm not on my phone - it's a 2000 land cruiser with approx. 230k on the odometer. I've owned it for just over a year, and so far have replaced the manifolds (pass & driver sides), front and rear suspension, new steering column, some minor electrical work, an ironman bumper, light torsion bar lift, and some fun rust elimination around the windshield. Some work, but all in all not too bad for a $5k LC with seemingly lots of life left in it.

When I got the steering column replaced, I noticed the creaking/rubbing sound, but so minor I didn't think much of it. I'd say in the last 4-5 months, its gotten so much worse, to the point where every light turn of the steering wheel produces this noise.

I was able to upload it to Youtube, here is a link:

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated. First post but have been frequenting here since before buying my 100 series - hard to top how helpful this forum is.

Thank you!

shameless bump to see if anyone has any suggestion. Took out the center piece/airbag yesterday to see if I could tell but didn’t have time to get the whole steering wheel off. Definitely coming from where the steering wheel meets the column…

Just another bump on this one. Looks like Romeo and I are both in the same situation.

Thanks!
I had a similar sound, but it came from further below. Might be worth checking. For me it was the rubber cover where the steering column meets the firewall. I greased it up with some Lithium Grease 8 years ago and the noise hasn't returned.

IMG_7777.jpg

YES!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom