Toyota TIS TechStream (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
Don't know if anyone knows about this, but in the 100 series forum but there is a thread there about the Toyota TIS Techstream software.
There is a link for a download of the software that already has it installed in a Virtual box environment (to save you from malware) as when you buy the little mini-vci connector cables (chinese knockoffs) they usually come with some version of the software, but like mine it is just a burned disc with the files.

Anyways, been wanting a small Windows laptop for a while for stuff like this seeing as the wife and are a pure Apple Ecosystem in the house so grabbed a Lenovo Yoga 12 (2nd Gen) off ebay last night for about $100. So if anyone has a NEWER Toyota with the OBD II port, and a spare laptop, you can easily download the software and do some diagnostics with it that are more advanced than what a normal scanner will do. If you want, I am happy to offer my laptop and service to come up and do stuff for anyone that may need the software to do more in-depth diagnostics, program key transponders, mess with options, etc.

Yes sir!! I have been a part of the TIS Techstream user interface for about a decade. Although I paid/pay for my software, each and every time, it is still, well worth the entrance fee.
Speaking of, Funny you purchased a Lenovo Yoga 12, as that is the very same laptop I chose a few years ago, to use for my Techstream. It is versatile, compact, and fun/easy to use(Although I paid about 5 times what you did).
It is Nice of you to offer said support to others in the area though, very commendable.

Yes sir!! I have been a part of the TIS Techstream user interface for about a decade. Although I paid/pay for my software, each and every time, it is still, well worth the entrance fee.
Speaking of, Funny you purchased a Lenovo Yoga 12, as that is the very same laptop I chose a few years ago, to use for my Techstream. It is versatile, compact, and fun/easy to use(Although I paid about 5 times what you did).
It is Nice of you to offer said support to others in the area though, very commendable.
Figure it is a fun way to meet others in the area (regardless of series of Land Cruiser) and on top of that is an easy way for me to justify purchase. Thinking of upgrading (via obdinnovations website) to the newest version of the software and possible a v2.0 cable (mine is v1.4.1).

When you did yours, did you install directly or are you running it compartmentalized in a VB? Any oddities with it? Are you running on Win10 or older?
I had been tossing around getting a T series Lenovo then came across a couple tuning videos of guys using tablet/2-in-1 laptops and figured that would be perfect. Found the Yoga series and was sold, especially since the one I got has the Lenovo stylus support (and included) not just the touchscreen version!

Plus, when I had asked Carson Toyota about programming another key for the wife's '11 4Runner they wanted something like $200-$300 for the key and programming service! Hell I purchased the keys for Alita off ebay for $20 (OEM non-button) and had them cut and programmed (3 total keys) for $65. Cut would have only been like $20 but I didn't know better (and didn't have a laptop at the time).

Installed directly, and My Lenovo(Which is the 2-in-1 touchscreen Thinkpad, with its dedicated Pen) is running Win 10 Pro. Version 1909. The Lenovo is running Intel i5 5300 CPU @2.3 GHz (8GB RAM) 256 SDD. Not a very powerful config. but it's enough for TIS.

As far as the cable I use my old and trusty Mini- VCI (J2534).

Edit: Oh and yes, a very invaluable tool as you mention for programming keys etc..

I got into using these types of Vehicle SW/Interface due to using the also invaluable ones (within the Audi/VW lineup), such as the VAGCOM/VCDS. More expensive, but again, also invaluable. Not to mention the Subaru/Cobb Accessport, but these are for other forums to discuss lol

Installed directly, and My Lenovo(Which is the 2-in-1 touchscreen Thinkpad, with its dedicated Pen) is running Win 10 Pro. Version 1909. The Lenovo is running Intel i5 5300 CPU @2.3 GHz (8GB RAM) 256 SDD. Not a very powerful config. but it's enough for TIS.

As far as the cable I use my old and trusty Mini- VCI (J2534).

Edit: Oh and yes, a very invaluable tool as you mention for programming keys etc..
Ok that is almost exactly the same one that I have (will verify build of Win 10 Pro when I get) except that I have only a 180gb SSD. Other than that, exact same, and even have the same Mini-VCI J2534 cable. Awesome to know that it works so well!!!

Schweet. Programming keys for the 100 the manual way is a royal PITA something like lock-unlock press the brake, hi beam low beam spit three times and kill the chicken. It usually takes me three or four tries to get it right.
I've been using the Torque Pro app (Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) - Apps on Google Play)
And a cheap flebay blue tooth OBDII reader ( Mini ELM327 OBD2 II Bluetooth Diagnostic Car Tool - Walmart.com)
Everything works and you can read any sensor on the CAN buss.
What advantages over this does the TIS software offer?

Benefits so far are that you can access some of the customization options that are allowed on some models. For instance, our 4Runner you can triple hit the unlock (I think) and it will not only unlock all doors but also roll down the windows. Stuff like that.
Also offers the ability to reset items, etc.

And @lelandEOD yes, you get the blank cut with the proper chip and I can meet you and go through the programming process. For mine, the locksmith was only able to get a couple of the keys I brought to him to program (one spare provided by the PO and I bought two spares did were just keys, no buttons) so when I went through the TIS Techstream I found that there were already a total of 8 keys programmed to the ECU. Checking through the FSM that is the max the system will hold (apparently one of the POs had lost a few keys, I actually have the receipts). So I went through wiped all keys, except the one master in the ignition, and reprogrammed all my keys to the system. Now I have 4 masters (two fobs, to standards) for whenever.

Part of getting the remote start to control the door locks was to get away from the abysmal 30ish foot range the OE keys have for the fobs. So much for that at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom