Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Parts Program Discussion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are the chances of the heat shields for the late exhaust being reproduced?
20220724_112307.jpg
PXL_20230530_000735407.jpg
PXL_20230517_022702559_exported_900_1685412314643.jpg
PXL_20230517_022554534.jpg

Quick search shows the shields clamped directly to the exhaust is considered part of the pipe. On the FJ40 only show exhaust with a CAT having those shields. Exhaust pipe is part number is 17420-61032. Not making these parts available in the US the possibly of making a part used only in the US is highly unlikely. The heat shields were used on H engines along the fuel tank 1/79+. Even seen some for FJ43s. But these were also part of the pipe.

The heat shield for the foot well is a standard part on all 8/80+ FJ4Xs and HJ47s. Part number for that is 55203-90800.

Quick search shows the shields clamped directly to the exhaust is considered part of the pipe. On the FJ40 only show exhaust with a CAT having those shields. Exhaust pipe is part number is 17420-61032. Not making these parts available in the US the possibly of making a part used only in the US is highly unlikely. The heat shields were used on H engines along the fuel tank 1/79+. Even seen some for FJ43s. But these were also part of the pipe.

The heat shield for the foot well is a standard part on all 8/80+ FJ4Xs and HJ47s. Part number for that is 55203-90800.
Agreed that this is unlikely. I’m missing some of the manifold heat shields and would love a replacement set. A quick internet search shows there’s a bunch of low volume metal stamping suppliers out there. It would be awesome if someone with all their heat shields intact would send them off to a company so they could measure and reproduce them. I’d go in on a group buy for new heat shields and I would be happy to kick in some extra $ to the person who makes this happen to compensate them for their efforts.

I'd prefer the early exhaust heatshield, my ass is getting hot 😆
Had filed for it in one of the form back then but not convinced it really has an impact on what is proposed.

Is this the heat shield your referring too?
IMG_20210524_134353651.jpg

This is the only heat shield I know used prior to 1/75.

Without going through 32 pages, have they assembled a master list of item that are being reproduced. and is this list updated as more items are added? very useful and cool for all of us.

Yes!!

I think this is the first time I see picture of one installed!
@flx @Living in the Past @OlYellr @cruiserboy14

Here's a better picture: :cheers:

1705966238784.png

With the vacuum retard distributor and air injection into the exhaust manifold, exhaust temperatures got so high they moved the exhaust pipe below the skid plate and added this shield to cut down on burning the paint off the rear bed.

@flx @Living in the Past @OlYellr @cruiserboy14

Here's a better picture: :cheers:

View attachment 3539466

With the vacuum retard distributor and air injection into the exhaust manifold, exhaust temperatures got so high they moved the exhaust pipe below the skid plate and added this shield to cut down on burning the paint off the rear bed.

This is well used exhaust. Picture is a couple years old but heat shield is over thirty years old. So I can't complain.
IMG_20210524_134411960.jpg

I see this shield used on all FJ40s from 12/71-1/75 not just those with air injection. The 1/79-7/80 exhaust was run under the frame on the front to get outside the frame. This was only on models with a CAT. 8/80 Toyota moved it above the frame like non CAT models. They also added a heat shield to the front of the cowl. It was also added to all FJ40s and 40 series with an H diesel engine. I know at least some 68 models had an air pump. My 9/67 which is a 68 model did not have one. The head had plugs for the air rail. Rubber plug in the air cleaner. But the harmonic balancer was a single pulley. That's how I bought it in July 1974. The air injection was dropped in 69 and was not used again until 9/72. Living in Arizona can tell you the rear floor was plenty hot before I added the heat shield. Heat shield helped but still gets warm.

added this shield to cut down on burning the paint off the rear bed.
On mine, one day (a long time ago) the exhaust got dislocated from its position and went in contact with the bed. It burnt through the OEM vinyl and through a top cover made of doormat material.
1706003696543.png

I guess this is most likely when the heatshield got lost...

So are these parts available? Maybe its a Canadian problem but our dealer doesn't recognize any of the part numbers listed on the GR heritage site..

Looks like some fresh parts drops. Fusible links, exhaust and weather stipping
IMG_7524.jpeg

In January 2020, Toyota began the Heritage Program to begin production of no longer available parts for the A70 and A80 Supra. In July 2020, Toyota added the 2000GT to the list of vehicles with parts production support through the Heritage Program.

Earlier today I made my frequent parts order call to my local dealership to get the common response, "part # XXXXX-XXXXX that you want to purchase is NLA". I'm a resourceful guy just like everyone on this site and I can do a lot to revive old worn bits but there is a limit to what can be rebuilt. Scouring fleabay for sketchy used parts isn't my idea of a fun afternoon; I'd rather be opening a Lexus/Toyota Genuine Parts box and installing a new part into my old cruiser. Why is Toyota supporting the Supra and 2000GT and not their most iconic/flagship vehicle, the vehicle that enabled them to enter new markets around the world and was largely responsible for the success of their company?

So I called Toyota's customer service at 800-331-4331 and spoke with Carrie W. (she's awesome BTW). I pitched this request and ended up on hold while she talked with a supervisor. She came back and said the supervisor response to my question was that they haven't had any significant volume of inquiry requests for adding the FJ25 or FJ40 to the Heritage Program, but they would send the program managers my request and... if they found there was enough demand they would likely add support for these vehicles. If you'd like to have access to new OEM parts that are currently NLA then please call the number and person listed above and put in a request. We may be able to get the Land Cruiser added to the Heritage Program if we flood them with requests. I may call them once every day until they get so fed up with me that they just do what I'm asking.

Also, my daily NLA parts order was: 17343-61020 hose between air bypass valve and check valve, 17342-61030 hose between smog pump and air bypass valve, 19220-61102 distributor vacuum advance (dual diaphragm style), 17810-61010 distributor air filter, at this point I gave up and ordered an air filter.
So you're telling me I just spent WAY too much on an OEM dash and gas tank for my '68? Just kidding, I know I did (don't tell my wife).

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom