Toyota Factory Dash Switch Repurposing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I found this thread on 'mud that has instructions on replacing the illuminated icons/labels found on many period Toyota dash switch from the '90s. The possibilities are pretty much endless and I really like the idea of keeping the dash looking original.

A quick trip to P-n-P can easily yield a pile of assorted period-fit Toyota SPST, SPDT, DPDT, On-Off-On, and Momentary switches with the illuminated symbol. The relabeling process is pretty straight forward and can be repurposed as long as the pin out of the switch terminals can be established. .... any ideas, folks?
If only we had an electrical engineer in the club... ....hmmmmmmmmmm

I know it's probably easiest to refer to the donor vehicle's EWD to figure out the terminals for every switch, but this would be a bit problematic as I usually just grab switches as I walk past Rav4s, Previas, and other Toyota models from the 90s; it'd be hard to keep them all straight, let alone digging up the EWD for each vehicle. I'm sure an EE ... any EE... especially an EE in the Club who also OWNS an 80 would be able to help me establish a test procedure to record the pin outs on each pig tail to make repurposing these suckers as winch controls, ARB Compressor switch, or whatever. What would be the easiest way to test function and record the pin out for different types of Toyota Dash switches if you don't have a corresponding EWD?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

So, I found this thread on 'mud that has instructions on replacing the illuminated icons/labels found on many period Toyota dash switch from the '90s. The possibilities are pretty much endless and I really like the idea of keeping the dash looking original.

A quick trip to P-n-P can easily yield a pile of assorted period-fit Toyota SPST, SPDT, DPDT, On-Off-On, and Momentary switches with the illuminated symbol. The relabeling process is pretty straight forward and can be repurposed as long as the pin out of the switch terminals can be established. .... any ideas, folks?
If only we had an electrical engineer in the club... ....hmmmmmmmmmm

I know it's probably easiest to refer to the donor vehicle's EWD to figure out the terminals for every switch, but this would be a bit problematic as I usually just grab switches as I walk past Rav4s, Previas, and other Toyota models from the 90s; it'd be hard to keep them all straight, let alone digging up the EWD for each vehicle. I'm sure an EE ... any EE... especially an EE in the Club who also OWNS an 80 would be able to help me establish a test procedure to record the pin outs on each pig tail to make repurposing these suckers as winch controls, ARB Compressor switch, or whatever. What would be the easiest way to test function and record the pin out for different types of Toyota Dash switches if you don't have a corresponding EWD?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
Nice! I love this sort of thing! I am wiring my lockers and compressor on the 40 to pull switches and will eventually install the illuminated style knobs with custom stenciling for each component. I have a source for the knobs. He retrofits LEDs/fiber optics into the assemblies.

1615741079508.png

On the 80, I deleted the antenna controls and the antenna (1), installed the center diff locker switch and changed locations with the rear defrost button (2). I will install these into the seat heater blanks in the dash (3) and probably move the rear heat controls to the far left (4).

1615741529196.png

(Still looking for a bezel that will fit the opening around the double din.. I didn't do that originally! Just using the open space for a better head unit.)

1615741563460.png

My Corbeau seats that I ordered have seat heaters and I am planning on using factory switches for that and will install them in the Delta VS shifter console.

1615741698604.png

I am installing the ARB compressor carling switch beside the factory locker switch (eliminating the non-functioning Toyota alarm toggle in the process), but it would be very cool to have a factory switch with custom stencil on it for the compressor! I might have to give this a shot.

Thanks for sharing Lee!

If you had stuck with the analog landcruiser models, you wouldn't project creep your way into electrical engineering....

If you had stuck with the analog landcruiser models, you wouldn't project creep your way into electrical engineering....

I unanalogged the 40 too. Modern(ish) is cool! I don't mind it really, I prefer this type of work to the big stuff on the 40. Details are fun!

In some ways it's easier to deal with an ECU, it can tell you what is wrong. When my Mercury was missing I hooked up to the ecu with my phone and knew in a couple of seconds that the #4 coil pack was malfunctioning, without popping the hood.

It is pretty straight forward to figure out switches. It just takes an ohm meter.
I know it can be done with an ohmmeter, I just don't know how to do it. I played with my Fluke trying to figure out how to determine the pinouts of a DPDT momentary switch and got frustrated after a few minutes. I may end up making a little dummy test load of sorts to help me figure out how to determine the design.

In some ways it's easier to deal with an ECU, it can tell you what is wrong. When my Mercury was missing I hooked up to the ecu with my phone and knew in a couple of seconds that the #4 coil pack was malfunctioning, without popping the hood.
...as long as it's not a 3FE.

3FEs are the devil.;)

Thankfully my 3fe runs pretty decent, but that could change at a moment's notice...

Yup. The one were basically every error code thrown can mean anything from a intake vacuum leak to a O2 sensor failure.
Toyota OBD has come a long way. Their first "computer" was part of the 40 series emissions control. It was a hand full of logic chips that controlled solenoids. I think mine is still mounted on the firewall. I eviscerated the rest of the emissions so it just sits there. :idea: The case is probably big enough to hold a rasberry pi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom