Toyota auto body--Araco plant pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The hood ornament on the white one is SWEET!!!!! Is that gold?

That's how I understand it, too. By any chance would the FJ Cruiser be built at Tahara? It would make sense, as it's based on the same chassis as the GX/4Runner/Prado.

Jim,

I saw a butt-load of FJC's at the dock the last time I visited the Tahara Plant, but they told me that they were not manufactured there.

Another Toyota guy who works at their Fuji facility told me that they were built in Japan.

A guy at Toyoda Gosei (the weather strip company) told me that he went to California helping develop the weather strips for the FJC.

Go figure.:confused:

Mot

As an engineer, you know that your product will have some defects. The quality aspect is to catch the big issues early and let the less ugly issues slide because you cannot fix every single issue.

In my experience, this is a major quality philosophy focus in American-run companies, but it is not the prominent focus in Japanese-run companies.

The problem is this: If management decides to allow the less ugly issues slide, then it allows more ugly issues to slide too.

Everybody knows about Pareto, but accepting more defects as a trick of rationalizing acceptability of less ugly ones is a common abuse of Pareto, in many companies obsessed with short-term profit above all other goals.

Program Management 101: Put a large amount of effort into design & development, then the problems are greatly reduced in manufacturing and beyond. Take a look at this fundamental in Japanese vs. American companies, and the reasons behind the striking difference. (Hint: Focus on long-term, vs. short-term costs/profits.)

Now, look at Ford/GM/Chrysler, vs. Toyota, in market performance lately. A natural result in a free market.

(I'll stop here; there is enough on this topic to write books...)

Then again, maybe toyota execs know that no other country can match the quality of those units produced in Japan and that would tarnish the LC's reliability image?

The other synergy present in Japan, that is not found in US, is suppliers: Look at the system of manufacturers in Japan, from part design/development, thru manufacturing, - the whole system. Better-engineered, more-robust parts with fewer defects, overall. Vehicle quality is not just what happens on the vehicle Assembly Line. Toyota knows this, maybe better than anybody else.

I'm not bashing anybody, just pointing out realities as I see them. It comes down to a profound difference in philosophies: On the one hand: Long-term focus, make a truly better product, prevent defects, vs. the other hand: Short-term $$$ focus, sweep "minor" defects under the rug if possible to avoid spending money to fix them.

FJC's vin # starts with J, so they are made in japan.

That's good to know!

I wonder where, but the said Toyota guy might have told me something about a Hino plant when he was telling me about the FJC's...

Yeah, FJC and 4runner are probably the two least expensive made-in-Japan cars one can buy these days...maximum bang for the buck. Otherwise, you have to go RAV-4, Prius or Lexus.

so if they are all made at the same plant, would it be ok to assume that the LC/LX have the same ECU???
Certain area's in south America as well as other middle eastern countries who are getting LC100 have the same left side driving position. I wonder if all the electonics are the same??? They just modify the actuall components?

so if they are all made at the same plant, would it be ok to assume that the LC/LX have the same ECU???
Certain area's in south America as well as other middle eastern countries who are getting LC100 have the same left side driving position. I wonder if all the electonics are the same??? They just modify the actuall components?

By same, if you mean the hardware chip is the same, I'd say "yes." But if you mean they are identical and do the identical functions, then "no." The LX ECU stores settings for memory seats, has the multiplex programmable functions for your door locks, windows, headlights, etc. whereas the LC doesn't. I think the differences will be all in software with similar interfaces (wiring/pin diagrams), vehicle harnesses for the LX/LC are for the most part the same, but there are differences in the head/tail lights, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom