Toyota 3B alternator indicator lamp question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about finished with a toyota 3B engine swap into my FJ45ish project and I have an alternator wiring question.
The green plug on the alternator has a spade for an indicator bulb wire. Does anyone know if I need the indicator light and if so, whether I have to actually send that wire to a bulb or whether I can just jumper to the battery power terminal. Alternators should be easy but they are voodoo to me and I dont really want to burn this one up as I just had it rebuilt.
I forgot to mention that I am using a painless wiring harness so there is no factory harness to hook into.

The thread on my actual project is here if you are interested.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hi,

What's is your alternator?
Internal or external voltage regulator?
There is some really good thread here about alt.
If you don't have an alternator light inside, in most case you can skip the "L" from the alt.
Connect IGN and Sense (if it is an internal).

If external, a "N" neutral from the star three phase from alt turn into the "L" at the external voltage regulator. Same here, if you don't have light...
(You can install a light if you want).

Thanks for the reply! I should have noted that it’s internally regulated. Sounds like I can leave the L terminal blank?

I would try, sense near battery and ignition 12/24 v from switch.
Check that fuse box is clean and and make good contact.

Ground are good from batteries to frame, engine bloc and then alternator (through alt case)

The big B+ to batteries pos.

L blank

If it doesn't work, make sure IGN receive 12/24v when switched on.

Seem that some says that L may need to be connected on some alt but I don't think it would apply rto this one.
I could try removing L on my LC to do a test if needed.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom