Toyota 14B diesel issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@bj70bc which part number oil filter are you using on your 3B? The filter on my 14B seems to be the same but I cannot find any number on it to replace it…locally, it is not even close to a typical, easy to get, standard type ….purolator, ac delco, k&n, fram, even Donaldson or wix.

I sent for a cross referenced oil filter from a place but the connection pipe looks to be a smaller non standard size… once I drain it, I’d like to have plan b ready just In case To reinstall the new one

engine oil or fuel filter
I can check both , Im not sure on cross compatibility on either though, and im running a shorter oil filter due to my turbo install as well

i run WIX oil filters and i order off whoever has a good sixpack price online and the fuel filters i can get at the parts store in town

As for clamps, I picked up a box of spring clamps like OEM. Also replaced fuel lines from the tank through the new filter OEM housing and to injection pump and I also am suspicious of that. But logically, would a greater availability of fuel, even though the injector meters the fuel, so up as a high speed idle?

is it possible a piece of dirt got into the injection pump? Could that create this high speed idle… i did back off on the idle screw.. about 1/8 inch, beyond that it is just a loose cable to the throttle

@mudgudgeon AND @bj70bc Update: it’s Sunday a few small parts came in from Dubai and Japan. Nothing remarkable, a thermostat and new injector nozzles and their rubber looking gaskets that look like oversized garden hose rubber gaskets. Wednesday, I had added a few ounces of DIESEL KLEEN to the fuel and I had been starting it a few times a day until the smoke started to choke the neighboring mice. It ran only about 30-40 seconds each time. Sunday (today) when I started it, the same thing but within 20 seconds …the idle started to drop…then it dropped to near normal and the smoke became much less. Revved it up a little and the smoke was nearly gone…idle is near normal ( need a tach to really check the exact RPM) and

what does this tell me…..? Dirt?

another issue that happened only once before is the engine won’t turn off when you turn the key off. Do you guys think the fuel solenoid is the problem? I have been unable to feel it or listen for a click of some sort so far …but a push in the right direction will be a benefit if you’re up for it

EDIT; my fuel return line is a much smaller ID than my fuel feed lines…almost looks a little like shrinkage ( it’s probably 28 years old and original to the engine)
‘I plan on changing it to the same size as my fuel feed….once it joins the metal tubing on the way back to the tank, that is where the next restriction would be.

do you guys know if the nozzle seats are re-useable or do I change them once the injectors Come out?

Last edited:
Yes…it was ALL air in the fuel line….hard to believe as I jumped through a lot of hoops trying to solve this…new injector seats, new seals, replaced lines, filters, fuel rail…

‘’I changed these AFTER the issue cleared to eliminate introducing some new problem

Yes…it was ALL air in the fuel line….hard to believe as I jumped through a lot of hoops trying to solve this…new seat, new seals, replaced lines, filters, fuel rail…

‘’I changed these AFTER the issue cleared to eliminate introducing some new problem
Thank you! - The 1977 BJ40 I'm looking at looks like it had that valve removed by some sketchy mechanic and since then it's putting out white smoke while running. :(

I used the “old” fuel filter pump and that is how it started…then, I found the correct new firewall mounted fuel filter with the air pump on top, that worked but took some extra bleeding of fuel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom