Toying with the idea of removing flares from the 80

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have toyed with the idea of removing them since I bought it and bedlining the bottom half of the truck, colour matched of course.
I dont like any extra crap on the side of a truck as its just a damage multiplier, and causes dirt to hang and rust. The one plus is it covers the tires and keeps crap from flinging against the truck. I figure sliders, flaps and the bedliner will help with that though.

Has anyone had any experience with a bedline gun or any bedliner products? I have been looking at either Al's or Raptor Liner.

I think the only downfall is cleanliness. Flabs are definatley a branch magnet. I believe I have lost 4 mirrors and a roof rack in two years so flaps would be similiar. Dirtier more often is all.

:beer:

Are you going to fill all of the holes?

My worry is fender damage if I tear one off, I was lucky once already.

The holes I an still debating on the best method. Everyone says that aluminum tape works great and can be covered by the bedliner easily.

yeah welding is an option too but that has alot more potential to go sideways than tape.

I bet I could make tape go sideways.

Seems like a lot of work for something you may not be happy with later. If the holes are not filled correctly it will lead to rust and bubbling of the bed liner from the backside. At the end of the day it's your choice, your truck look great as it is and works well. Personally, I got sick of not being able to see out the windows of the 40 and that's why I built my armour and fenders. Melissa's 60 will most likely get flares as well, I just hate having to clean all the windows once you leave the pavement, not to mention the fantastic "nails on the chalkboard" experience when you roll down the window! Lol
Ken

I agree with Ken but his flares will take a beating , yours can be knocked by a branch. Maybe you should reinvent the wheel and come up with a removable flare that is stout. Check out the Aussie sites, they are generally further ahead with the later models. As far as vision, I have researched and seen alot of rubber flares coming from inside the wheelwell. Not pretty but effective. Depends on your main use for that vehicle. Based on what I have seen you like to keep your stuff looking good. Maybe its time to find something that doesn't fear damage.

I agree with Ken but his flares will take a beating , yours can be knocked by a branch. Maybe you should reinvent the wheel and come up with a removable flare that is stout. Check out the Aussie sites, they are generally further ahead with the later models. As far as vision, I have researched and seen alot of rubber flares coming from inside the wheelwell. Not pretty but effective. Depends on your main use for that vehicle. Based on what I have seen you like to keep your stuff looking good. Maybe its time to find something that doesn't fear damage.

hah this LC thing really is a slippery slope...
I would love something smaller that can take a beating, like yours for example :grinpimp: BUT that is too far down the "objects to take my funds away" list.

My worry is simply fender damage. The flares use a mix of clips and these bolt style things that use a nut from the inside of the truck. You catch that the wrong way and crease an entire fender...

I do like to keep my stuff nice and clean, she isnt a trail donkey just yet haha.

Seems like a lot of work for something you may not be happy with later. If the holes are not filled correctly it will lead to rust and bubbling of the bed liner from the backside. At the end of the day it's your choice, your truck look great as it is and works well. Personally, I got sick of not being able to see out the windows of the 40 and that's why I built my armour and fenders. Melissa's 60 will most likely get flares as well, I just hate having to clean all the windows once you leave the pavement, not to mention the fantastic "nails on the chalkboard" experience when you roll down the window! Lol
Ken

Rust is a huge worry for sure. If I am going to go this route I will be using whatever high tech ant-rust fandangled coating I can find to apply to the inside of the hole and around it, then possibly the tape followed by the coating.

I honestly dont know if I have the balls to do it at this point though...

They have been temporarily removed. Holes are plugged with panel clips and excessive amounts of silicone. Will see if I can handle the mud flinging, etc and will look into a more permanent solution down the road.

ForumRunner_20131002_091253.jpg

ForumRunner_20131002_091253.jpg

Nice, better get some sliders made up before you crinkle your nice body up. I'll be going hard on the taco this days off. So hopefully make some decent progress.

Used Muggywelds to braze up the fender holes. Takes some practice - check there site for some videos. Has held up to some serious abuse with no issues.

Mud flaps really help.

Will have to look into that, thanks for the info.

Flaps are a must have without them. Gets messy right quick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom