Toy IFS Steering box variations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,
Do / did the Toy IFS boxes come with different ratio's, or differences in the amount of "assist" provided to the steering system?

I ask because my bud had a leaking IFS box on his toy truck [ with mercedes diesel ], so he removed it and put another IFS box on that he sourced from the auto wrecker. Now, he says the steering is way, way too easy. He can turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock with just his pinky. Zero road feel now. The leaky IFS box was not like this.

Are there differences between IFS boxes?
He is using the mercedes power steering pump. It worked well with the first IFS box.

Afaik there aren't pressure /ratio variations. There are two styles, one is 86-90 the other through 95.
He may have a sticky pump.

He may have a sticky pump.

Or the leaky box had an internal fault which reduced PS assist - an internal leak, perhaps, which didn't allow full pressure to provide assist (thus reducing assist).

The only difference, as gnob, said is the 2 different styles mantioned. The later style has a slightly shorter steering column side snout on the box and requires a small bit of work to fit in an early style truck. I think there might also be a 1/4 turn difference in turns lock-to-lock.

He could try fitting a bigger diameter PS pump pulley, that would reduce how fast it's turning and should reduce PS assist. Or maybe try to fit the PS pump which goes with the chassis, if the diesel PS pump is rated for a different pressure (does the PS pump have an integrated vacuum pump?)

I went thru something like this with a JY IFS box when I did a cross-over conversion on Patch. Notchy steering, not a lot of assist in part of the range, too much assist in other parts of the range. Was freaky to drive. Had Tom Lee rebuild it and the pump at the same time. Ended the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom