Towing/ Camping /Trailers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shunts weird, there's denying that... but I'll go ahead and put this out there, I'm seriously considering buying a trailer and bed camper like you big boys. Only twist is... to fund it... I'm thinking of living in it for half a year. I lived in a hospital bed for 6 months and a 600sq/ft house for the last 6 years... Give me a nice RV spot at the local campground with a nice patio-type space and I think I'd enjoy it...

My only kneejerk would be... could this setup be under 11K lbs? that's all catfish can handle... unless of course that is tongue weight and maybe it can handle more goose-neck weight?

A GN trailer big enough to haul one rig and a slide in camper is going to be at least 24' or so. Save some weight by canning the dovetail and just use ramps. I'd bet you would be in the 4,500 -5,000lb range on anything like that. Add the weight of the camper, 2000lbs avg, and that only leaves you 4k to 4.5k for whatever you want to haul. Could be done but it would be close. No way with a bigger trailer though

Just load the camper on the back of Catfish and use a 16' bumper to pull the 80. Rent a spot for the camper. Leave it on stilts.

That said, most of the slide-in type trailers don't have bathrooms unless they are fairly large. Usually more than you would want to put on a 1/2 ton truck.

That said again, the Tundra is not your average 1/2 ton truck.

I like the idea, but not sure if you can get all of that on a 24' Goose.

My last one (the one Fireman has now) was stretched to 26' plus the dovetail. I could haul one rig, have enough room to open the back door, and the 9' slide in had a SMALL bath and shower combo. It can be done.

It'd only work with a large slide-in that had a slide out table and queen bed on top. I went to a few websites, those type are for F350/3500 dually-type rigs. oops.
maybe I can do this when the buggy comes to fruitation, cause it will be a few thousand lbs less than the dirty girl.
I love the idea of hooking that thing up and rolling out though. No packing needed! I NEVER cook, never. I also never take tub-baths... always showers. My only home visitors are offroaders... The only thing I'd miss is washing clothes whenever I want.

I was looking at a lance...
http://www.eastendcampers.com/images/06_861lview.jpg

by gawd ....this is beginning to sound like a White Trash tread that took place a while back!

I myself looking into building something to this effect.

I like the idea of starting w/ the GN and a tent like Nolen.

later move to the slide in camper.

question is which Gooseneck, I have no clue

need help here Daryl!

I will be towing my 40 and 80 on gooseneck.

The 40 will be w/ 1ton drivetrain so i figure it will have to be wide 100" plus

carrying capacity, no idea!

how do we cypher this out? Help!!!!

I will be towing my 40 and 80 on gooseneck.

The 40 will be w/ 1ton drivetrain so i figure it will have to be wide 100" plus

carrying capacity, no idea!

how do we cypher this out? Help!!!!

13' for the FJ-40 and 16' on the 80. That is 30' of usable deck space for the Cruisers alone. Deck Over is a it higher (more wind drag) but with a 100' wide 40, you will need that or you can armor your fenders and drive over.

1 ton 40 = 6000#, built 80 = 8000#, trailer heavy enough to haul both 3000# minimum.

For the most part, 8 lug axles on a trailer are 7000# capable. Some of the weight will be on the truck, but not enough to haul all of this load on 2 axles without being close to max load.

Limiting factors are tire rating and axle rating. To haul and 80 and a 40 you either need twin duals (overkill) or triple 7000's

What I would look for is a 30-40' triple 7000# axle gooseneck. Low deck is nice, you can always drive over the fenders when you widen the 40, BUT in my opinion, the extra drag and roll from the deck over is not so bad that it would keep me from buying one if I found the right trailer.

Good answer Nolen. I wish someone would make a low deck dual tandem with drive over fenders. It will never happen unless it is custom built but that would be the ticket in my opinion. An 80 + a 40 = 30' trailer. I would not pass up a good deal on a 28' (common length) and just add some extensions to the rear though. Two rigs plus a slide in = 40" and the only choices are tripple 7's on a low deck or deckover or dual tandems on a deckover. Dovetails are nice but unnecessary weight in my opinion. Just use ramps. Jrobs is about as light as you are going to get with that set-up and his gross weight last weekend was 25,980#:eek:

Dovetails are nice but unnecessary weight in my opinion.

I have heard Lenny dissing on dovetails as well.

I have always considered dovetails as part of my deck space.

I don't get them as being a hindrance in any way at all.

All three of these trailers have dovetails and all I consider to be usable space.

'splain it to me Bossman....

Here is one of the coolest trailers I have owned.

It was 29' on the deck with a 5' dovetail.

Look at the unique features..

See how the tires are up in the deck? They had it lowered where there was only a 1/4" plate of steel over the tires, not the entire 2" wood deck.

Also, the rear axles were spread apart where instead of having a 3rd axle. I did not need the load capacity (although these two tiny buggies and the RZR had it at max load) but it towed so much nicer and spread the load much more evenly about the trailer and the hitch.

Very cool trailer.
34goose.JPG
photo-12.jpg
photo-13.jpg

Last edited:
You can't keep trailers either!

I would love to have one of these as well. I would like to go as small as possible though. Maybe a slide in like Jrobs and enough room for my 40.

The biggest problem with having a gooseneck is that everyone wants to borrow it. Seriously, that 34' got used more by other people than it did me. They are nice to have but keeping tires on a trailer for everyone else is not my idea of a good time.

Tell em no like I do. Been asked a dozen times to borrow mine because it sits at the base and I always say no. They don't ask anymore. My theory is that I always know where it is and it's good to go when I need it.

Nolen, it is my understanding that the dovetail is not useable space according to the po-po. I'll try to get that confirmed.

The lower deckover you describe is called a pierced deck. A little more expensive but it is a nice feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom