Touring bike suggestions.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MANUCHAO

omnia mea mecum porto
Threads
Im contemplating a self supported ride for next year and although I already have a trailer.. Im wondering if I could use one of two bike that I already own or should I get an touring specific bike..

Choices are

1. Full Suspension bike 32 lbs.. aluminum. ( I have had to ride this pig on the asphalt not with slicks but knobbies and its a biotch..)

2. Carbon Frame bike 19 lbs... with 13-29 gearing on the rear.. (I think the fram could candle the pull of the trailer and extra weight on the rear but I would think 23 Clinchers would be too skinny specially for and if I encounter gravel roads specially up in AK ).

3. Get a touring bike which (correct me if Im wrong) amounts to a rigid mountain bike with slick tires..... ( really dont know much about them).

Im planning on either going from:
San Fran to Washington,
Anchorage to Prince Rupert BC,
Anchorage to Jasper or
LA to Crested Butte CO.

Choices are endless really, but time to do this is a month... and I have already taken into consideration the steep grades and weight involved on pulling a trailer....

Any suggestions are welcomed..

Thanks in advance...:beer::beer:

Last edited:
Your full-suspension might be too heavy for a long distance ride (at least IMO), I would check your road bike to see whether you can get 28 on it. Obviously, a touring bike with 30+ tire and cantilever brakes (or even disc brakes) might be ideal. I am running 30 on my Kona Sutra with disc brakes, it works great in muddy or gravel road.

Honestly I would just rock this bike.

SURLYVILLE

That is what I want to get for touring and just all around grocery getting.

Best of luck with the trip!

A touring bike is going to have a longer wheel base and a little more fork rake than your race bike, This will make it slower to turn, but more stable, especially with a load. Also I would be concerned that a double chain ring, even with a 29 tooth in the rear won't give you a low enough gear for pulling a trailer. I agree that the mountain bike is probably too heavy. Also, technically, a touring bike will have drop handle bars (like a road bike) which you give you more hand positions for comfortable long distance road riding. You will probably want cantilever brakes or possibly disc brakes to handle the added weight of the trailer. However, if your tires are too skinny, the disc brakes won't offer much hard braking advantage because the tires will lock up and skid.

Thanks for all the input..
Im going to try doing a few one day rides and pull my trailer with both bikes.. and see what is best...

x2 on the 13-29 and double rings. You really should have a triple.

Don't skimp. DO the research - i'm not much help on this subject - and acquire the right gear. You want to be concentrating on having a kick-ass experience, not on having the wrong gear. Make sure to keep a travelblog and update us along the way.

get a dynamo light for the trip, no batteries required, google peter white for a good web site. X2 on the surly, go with a triple for versatility. A touring frame would be ideal since it will have rack mounts front and rear. Also, buy a brooks seat now and start breaking it in, you want a couple thousand miles on it before you take off on a long trip

A good friend of mine rode from Seattle to Mexico, and he now lives in England and tours around there. He swears by Rivendell, I put the link below, they are fairly spendy, but their beauty is simplicity, so if you are out in the bush and something breaks, it's not some rare part that only large cities would have. I wish I could afford one, or for that matter, have time to go on a nice tour.
Lugged steel bicycles, wool clothing, and leather saddles from Rivendell Bicycle Works

a triple is a great idea. One of the best things you can do is to go into a reputable bike shop and get fit for a bike. They can also help with advice depending on the terrain you choose and the distance you plan to ride each day. Seat choice is critical after that. My last piece of advice is DO NOT forget the Chamois Cream (D'z Nuts is great).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom