tortillas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

for the press? wooden ones are nice. but go cast iron. as far as tortilla recipes..
i go a block over to the tortillarilla.... and
ALWAYS corn ...
cept for burros

I just realized we had a dedicated "Tortilla" thread. A couple years ago I discovered Masienda after being repeatedly disappointed with the paltry tortilla offerings in Northern Nevada. A little over a year ago I felt lucky to get a 5# bag of the only "landrace" heirloom kernels they had left as an initiation into the nextamalization process of making masa from whole kernels + calcium hydroxide (aka pickling lime). This year, I was a little luckier and ordered 5 different varieties.

Likewise I've had a couple different tortilla presses but just couldn't get the tortillas as thin as I wanted and was super happy Masienda once again came to the rescue by offering a real deal steel press. Boom!

The nixtamalization process is easy and although I don't have a lava-stone corn grinder my Cuisanart food processor does a decent job of processing the whole kernels into fine masa.

I just realized we had a dedicated "Tortilla" thread. A couple years ago I discovered Masienda after being repeatedly disappointed with the paltry tortilla offerings in Northern Nevada. A little over a year ago I felt lucky to get a 5# bag of the only "landrace" heirloom kernels they had left as an initiation into the nextamalization process of making masa from whole kernels + calcium hydroxide (aka pickling lime). This year, I was a little luckier and ordered 5 different varieties.

Likewise I've had a couple different tortilla presses but just couldn't get the tortillas as thin as I wanted and was super happy Masienda once again came to the rescue by offering a real deal steel press. Boom!

The nixtamalization process is easy and although I don't have a lava-stone corn grinder my Cuisanart food processor does a decent job of processing the whole kernels into fine masa.

I recently ordered one of their presses and the quality was trash. Brought "HOMEMADE" to a new level .... looked like a 6 year old made it. The edges had slag left on them and then painted over. You could break off little pieces. The plates wouldn't even come close to sitting flat and certainly would never make a uniform, yet flat tortilla... I called and left them a message about returning and haven't had a response yet.

J

I recently ordered one of their presses and the quality was trash. Brought "HOMEMADE" to a new level .... looked like a 6 year old made it. The edges had slag left on them and then painted over. You could break off little pieces. The plates wouldn't even come close to sitting flat and certainly would never make a uniform, yet flat tortilla... I called and left them a message about returning and haven't had a response yet.

J

That sucks! Mine arrived last week and other than plasma cut evidence on the edges (not rough though) the two plates meet flat, powder coat is good and it works perfectly. Darien is who I've been dealing with...maybe send him an e-mail: info@masienda.com

That sucks! Mine arrived last week and other than plasma cut evidence on the edges (not rough though) the two plates meet flat, powder coat is good and it works perfectly. Darien is who I've been dealing with...maybe send him an e-mail: info@masienda.com

Same email I have. Hopefully I can return and look for another one or just make my own..... With all the free time I have these days.................:rofl:

I'd say they had a huge production rush at the holidays and I got a bad one.

They are made in Mexico, then brought across the border for food safe powder coating. They'll take care of you but its still a fawking hassle. Yes, you could throw one together easily...in your spare time :D.

Also, and you probably already know this, but I wasn't getting the puff when the tortilla was griddled and they were taking too long to cook, ended up too dry...so a little more reading and found out real deal tortilla makers get the comal to 550-600ºF. I started taking my thin carbon steel pan to 500F and it made a HUGE difference. Its been fun learning all the little tricks to get them right.

And I cheat by using 7" parchment rounds...they work way better for me than anything plastic as I peel the top layer off then slap the tortilla down on the screaming hot pan, then almost immediately peel the parchment 'backing' off the tortilla. Using a food processor, instead of a stone grinding apparatus, I need to use a little more water to get the masa to a super fine consistency. FWIW.

Amazon product ASIN B07D671QGD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom