torque converter lock out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
O.k. so a while back, I think Offroad mag. did an article on the ultimate auto tranny. In this article they installed a switch to lock out the torque converter to achieve better hill desents. So I got to thinking that 1) my stock 62 auto locks out the torque converter in drive at around 2500 RPM and 2) why can't I install a switch to lock it out whenever to acheive more downhill control. However, I've never owned an auto in my life so I'm a little in the dark about their magical behavior, but it seems feesible. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Nick :G

Come on you slush box Gurus, let me pick your brains. :G

Stumped all of ya. Sounds like a good idea though, don't it? :G

never tried it but here are my thoughts.

I read that article also. the only prob I see with doing yours is that is has the ability to shift with the torque converter locked, probably not a good thing for the trany. We're talking serious shock load here. If you only ever locked it when you where in "1" I would think you could get away with it. In "2" or "D" the trany would undoubtedly want to shift and tear itself apart. With thier setup they manualy select every gear. Their trany never shift unless they tell it to. They still need to remember to unlock the torque converter before shifting.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. But I would only want to use it i L going down hills, sorta like them newfangled hill descent modules (some use the brakes, but some lock out the t/c). So any thoughts on where those electrics are coming off the trans. I can't find em. :dunno:

I haven't looked at the toyota schematic so I'm not sure about its particular setup. In General motors vehicles the ECU rontrols the lockup function. I either aplies voltage to the torque converter (locked) or it doesn't (unlocked). for GM all you need to do is aply power through a switch to the torque converter to lock it up when ever you want. I would assume the Toyota works on the same principle. I will try to find a schematic for the Toyota and see if I can figure it out for sure. I probably won't get a chance to do any research till Monday though.

thanks, guys. None of my wiring diagrams mmention the tranny at all. And tried to find it out surfing around, no luck. That would be awesome if you came across it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom