Tool advice: Min/max torque specs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My manual is boxed up somewhere currently beyond easy reach, but I've managed to find myself a bit of money for some tools, so I figured I'd pick up a torque wrench or two. The important question for this buy is, what range do I need to cover?

So, in a nutshell, what're the min/max torque specs for everything on a 40? Running a 3B, in case that has anything outside the normal range. Specifics per part aren't required (I'll find my manual before I end up there), just the overall range you'd need in a torque wrench to meet spec for every part.

I'd get a single good wrench. 1/2"
I've used mine on nuts as small as 10mm and as large as 57mm.
My CDI 1503MFRMH goes from 20-150. Ive never needed more or less.
This is made by Snap-on but less expensive. A little over $100.

Don't know about the 3B, but for a 2F a little inch/Lb torque wrench will help with the pan gasket. And it just occured to me I could have used it on my manifold bolts as well. The 1/2 inch sockets were just a bit to big to snake in there. 3/8 sockets would have been easier.

If you can afford 2-3 GOOD torque wrenches, that's great.
My point is that I'd rather have one good one than two cheap ones.
A 1/2 to 3/8 adapter, extensions, and flex adapters make almost everything reachable with the 1/2"
Personally, I go by feel on anything that says "inch pounds".

I've got a little Seekonk 1/4 drive torque wrench I use for gunsmithing for the in/lbs stuff, though I'd certainly prefer something a bit less delicate for truck work. If I've got the budget I'll pick up two. The big honkin' one comes first -- and I'd prefer to buy a single good wrench over two crappy ones instead. Thanks for the advice.

Don't know about the 3B, but for a 2F a little inch/Lb torque wrench will help with the pan gasket. And it just occured to me I could have used it on my manifold bolts as well. The 1/2 inch sockets were just a bit to big to snake in there. 3/8 sockets would have been easier.

+1, you'll need it for the side (pushrod gallery) cover and other things as well. The spec for the side cover IIRC is 89 inch lbs., i.e. 7 or 8 ft. lbs., and not even a good ft. lbs. torque wrench is accurate (or at least you won't feel the "click") at that low of a setting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom