Too much $$$ for a transfer case??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TJDIV

UP of MI.
Threads
Website
www.roamwherever.com
Guys...I just did a 700R4 conversion and have been led directly to a transfer case problem. I've been trying to eliminate noise from typical wear, hence swapping my (literally crumbling) 3 speed tranny for the R4, however, my transfer case is hurt. The guy who helped me with the conversion has offered to sell me a used one for $125, but it's from a 73, I own a 70 fj40 and am wondering if it'll even work, or if I should just bite the bullet and rebuild the thing. If I decide to rebuild, any experience on how much that costs and who sells the best kits? Thanks for the help, I'm almost done with this job!!

Are you sure it isn't your rear differential you're hearing?,from what I understand it can be easy to mistake the two.

Keep in mind that now you have an OD trany, the T/C, drive shaft and rear end are now turning 30% faster in 3rd. (OD) Faster = vibration that was never heard before now comes out or can be heard now since there is less motor noise at the same speed.

As far as you question on the used TC, Yes the 73' case will work for you. In fact that is a great year (as is the 72) for the stronger cases. For the price he is asking I would snap that thing up even just to have on hand as a spare. Your old case will still have value as a back up and will seem like its gold plated when you absolutely need a spare. (Or too your buddy who shows up with a case of your fav. beer and a big story about how he grenaded his case)

Good luck!

Mark

BTW: A good 73' TC is worth $275-375+ in my area

yeh, snag the t-case it's a good one. or tell me where i can pick it up. i'm needing one pretty bad right now.

hat is a fine price on the case. Snag it. Rebuilding a TC is easy. Kit runs around $150 and takes a few hours at most. The noise is the idler shaft bearings whining. I would run what you have until you rebuild the new.

That's what I thought, and about the conversion creating higher speed, rpm, vibration, that would have come into play, but I never got above 15 mph because I recognized the transfer case problem right off. I may run into further entertainment when I start hitting higher speeds. I'm having the tired "trued" to the cruiser friday, and I heard this works incredibly well. Thanks for the heads up on the price. I'll snag the t-case, although it has been sitting for two years...so I'll look at the guts first I think....

I picked up a spare for $60 :D It was missing the inspection/pto cover, and the parking brake. But other than that- it was beautiful inside.

I am in the middle of rebuilding my t-case right now. I just bought a rebuild kit for $100 shipped (not sure what all comes in the kit, but I should know in the next day or so). And I bought a double seal rear output from Mudrak's. So all I need to do is make myself a tcase saver, and I shouldn't have to worry about my t-case for a while. Oh yeah- and I'll post some pics later- maybe even do a write up on it, because I have a badly pitted idler shaft... The main culprit of tcase whine (so I've heard).
Anyways. Best of luck. I'll report back on the rebuild kit that I bought.
Zipp.

Ah don’t want to alarm you but if the fastest you have gone with the new automatic is 15mph and the TC is making loud noises it did not make before, you might have other problems. If this is the case I would look at your adapter. If so tell us a bit about your trany and adapter.

I am hoping you have been driving it for some time and the TC just started to really whine. Then it is most likely just the TC having issues.

Mark

Uh...yeah....we opened up the transfer case the other day...and liquid metal pretty much dumped out and that was about it. It was on it's way anyway. The 3 speed tranny was literally screaming before I converted. I looked at the gears in the 73 and we're thinking about just pulling them and putting them in mine, bad idea?????????????????????????????????????????...since the vacuum switch is set differently, I'm not incredibly hot on trying to put the 73 in my 70 unless it's easier than it looks.

Adapter kit is fine. Thought I could've had flywheel probs, hell I still might, it's brand new, but was installed by a bigger retard than me....and that's trouble with a capital T.

WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR REBUILD KITS.....email me TJDIV@HOTMAIL.COM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom