Tom Hanks is Selling his 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes it's an FJ40. Nobody ever called it an "FJ" though until the FJ Cruiser came out (at least I never heard anyone refer to one as an FJ until then). It was either an FJ40 or a "40" (to distinguish it from a 55 or 60).

So how do you know what I called my FJ 25 years ago?
I don’t; thus the highlighted qualifier required when one wishes to temper an otherwise absolute statement. And it really doesn’t matter to me what you call it now or called it then. I was just attempting to explain why someone else would say, “it’s not an FJ”.

I was just attempting to explain why someone else would say, “it’s not an FJ”.
Lot of people are aggressively making these remarks because a "FJ" refers to a FJ Cruiser and not a FJ40 for them.
And I don't know how people in the US were referring to FJ40's 15+ years ago but seams that in the mind of Toyota enough people were calling them FJ to make a commemoration vehicle of the FJ40, targeted to US market, and calls it FJ Cruiser in reference.
In Europe 40 series are often referred by the name "BJ" as it's the most common model over here, even if BJ70 are also very common and BJ60 exist worldwide.

So, now im really confused. What is it that Tom Hanks is selling?

Not only has He signed it He blessed it...must make it worth at least $10k more for The Laying on of Hands.

image.png

Last edited:
I don’t follow culture, occasionally I make it to a movie every decade. I do know that Hanks is an actor. But I don‘t know what he has to do with Idaho. Can‘t read the date on the license plate sticker, so don’t know how old this pic is or if he just bought the cruiser in Idaho in the past.
He has a house outside of Ketchum.

Funny, I've seen that rig before but didn't know it was his.

Lot of people are aggressively making these remarks because a "FJ" refers to a FJ Cruiser and not a FJ40 for them.
And I don't know how people in the US were referring to FJ40's 15+ years ago but seams that in the mind of Toyota enough people were calling them FJ to make a commemoration vehicle of the FJ40, targeted to US market, and calls it FJ Cruiser in reference.
In Europe 40 series are often referred by the name "BJ" as it's the most common model over here, even if BJ70 are also very common and BJ60 exist worldwide.
Well.... 35 yrs ago, I called my FJ40, a FJ40 or a 40, or sometimes among friends Cruiser, or Land Cruiser. Most of the people i know that owns a 40 refer to them as a 40/FJ40 so theirs won't be confused with the FJ55, FJ60 or FJ45. The 45 owners would define theirs as a short or long box. Then a friend got a 45lv. Most of the folks I wheel with locally were jeep owners and I could lump them in as cj's, but they would clarify individually it was a cj5 or cj7, or 6 or 8. Then the wrangler came out and everybody made fun of it, later we found out it was a "yj". Instantly it became the yupee jeep, even by cj owners.

Last edited:
Yota, Land Crusher, the 40…..a true Heritage Land Cruiser? Just never never call it a j$$p thing and never never call me late to dinner.

So no takers on my ‘signature’ heritage land cruiser axle? Priced reduced to $999…..and I’ll through in my neighbor’s j$$p…..(LOL)

Well.... 35 yrs ago, I called my FJ40, a FJ40 or a 40, or sometimes among friends Cruiser, or Land Cruiser. Most of the people i know that owns a 40 refer to them as a 40/FJ40 so theirs won't be confused with the FJ55, FJ60 or FJ45. The 45 owners would define theirs as a short or long box. Then a friend got a 45lv. Most of the folks I wheel with locally were jeep owners and I could lump them in as cj's, but they would clarify individually it was a cj5 or cj7, or 6 or 8. Then the wrangler came out and everybody made fun of it, later we found out it was a "yj". Instantly it became the yupee jeep, even by cj owners.
Last night while on a father/daughter camping trip in our 40, my 6 year old asked if it was a Jeep. Barely containing myself, I explained that Jeeps are garbage and that Mr. Myagi was a Land Cruiser, and thus the king of vehicles. She replied that Jeeps can take their doors off so they're just trying to be Land Cruisers.

Yes. Yes they are.

So how do you know what I called my FJ 25 years ago?
I see you joined two years ago and have 29 post. Did you even own a FJ40 25 years ago? I did and never called it an FJ or heard it called that. I see you have an FJ Cruiser, maybe that is why you do not have the love for the 40's most of us on here do. Thanks

Life was a whole lot simpler back in 1978 when I bought my 1976 FJ40.

Kind of hard for me to remember that far back. lol

Pretty sure I called it a Landcruiser back then because most people knew right away what I was talking about. That's because there was basically only one Landcruiser back then and everybody knew what it was. There was a Land Rover which was less well known and of course the Jeep.

Such a simple and great time back then.

Now there are so many versions of the Landcruiser you need to be more specific so I always say FJ40 Landcruiser to people not that familiar with them. Even then I have to sometimes explain which one I'm talking about because it's so old now.

I wish I could go back to 1978. lol

He has a house outside of Ketchum.

Funny, I've seen that rig before but didn't know it was his.
Well, he does have another house on the island of Antiparos, Greece.
Let see where this '40 will end up...

Last edited:
Why is Hanks selling off all his stuff, a Landcruiser, airstream, greek island, etc? Must be on hard times.

Pretty sure I called it a Landcruiser back then because most people knew right away what I was talking about. That's because there was basically only one Landcruiser back then and everybody knew what it was. There was a Land Rover which was less well known and of course the Jeep.

Forgetting a few. Bronco, Blazer, GMC Jimmy, Nissan Patrol, International Scout, Ram Charger, Trailer Duster. Probably a few Mercedes floating around. The Patrols were rarer but they were around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom