Todays wrenching (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ya looking into DIY locks, freakin expensive

That's for a set of 4. Read down a little. Includes 4 inner and 4 outer rings

Thx. I stand corrected it is for 4. That is a great price.

ya looking into DIY locks, freakin expensive

If you got the extra $ go with a manufactured beadlock.

problems with weld on's:

ya have to weld them.. so either spend alot of time prepping to make airtight or pay someone a lot to weld.

You need to buy about $100 worth of nuts and bolts to populate them. The nuts are not welded to the ring like a manufactured lock. so installing them you need 2 wrenches.

There is no locating feature on the rim for the bead so its a pain to keep aligned as you sock down the bolts.

Since the lock ring is just flat stock it may cone. as in bend inwards over time from the bolt pressure. Most manufactured rings have a rolled lip that give the ring more strength as well as protects the heads of the bolts for WHEN you need to re-tighten them.

you need to source a set of regular wheels to weld.. so if you dont have any you like.. thats extra cost. As well as weld on beadlocks retain both wheel beads on the donor wheel and then beadlock then clamps to the outside of the existing bead. This means that you need a pry bar or tire tools to get the tire on the wheel before you put the beadlock ring.

just my advice. take it or poop on it. I dont care :)

I don't see where they do aluminum beadlocks,

There were a few companies out there that make em, a bit more $$$ though. Cant weld steel to aluminum so I would need aluminum ones.:meh:

There were a few companies out there that make em, a bit more $$$ though. Cant weld steel to aluminum so I would need aluminum ones.:meh:

Oh wow really? :p

N8 you had me until that last sentence " Neither of these coating type joint methods are typically depended upon for full mechanical strength and are usually used for sealing purposes only.
"
Interesting though

Yea the inserts are fully fastened. Coast guard cutter boats use them to attach a steel superstructure to an aluminum hull. But all that other coating stuff isnt used for transferring load. There are a couple more techniques for joining dissimilar metals but mostly they are all super expensive and bolting stuff together is easy. Still cool tho.

Drilling out broken hub studs. Just went to sears for bigger replacement. Grade 12.9 not 5

image-3978173523.jpg

While at it you should add 2 more dowels. What size is that?

its 10mm, stock is 8mm. i run drive flanges with 6 studs and 6 dowels, sheared them all last weekend. now i will have 4 stock studs and will replace the dowels and 2 other stock studs with the 10mm bolts, should hold better.
the 10mm bolts are 12.9 grade witch is stronger than standard grade 8 bolts, stock might be 8.8 grade or ever 5 grade studs,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom