To swap frames or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Hi,
So as you probably know about my recent adoption of Jerry's old truck, I managed to get to a point where I can see the entire frame. The sad part is that the floors of this truck looked like someone sprayed it with acid, the frame to my surprise is actually in better overall shape then mine. I see the start of the the usual rust areas, so far evident only as small holes on the bottom of the inside cover. The back piece of course is flaking off and the very far rear cross-member was shot, but other then that it is solid metal almost everywhere. Now in it's current state (with nothing attached) it is easier to work on. The question is is it worth it?
For those who don't know my metal skills I am a huge fan of over kill, so that said if I was to fix it I would reinforce and improve on all the bad and weak areas.
Following this is always a question of what's next? how do you "prevent" it from rusting again?
Powder coating - doesn't get in everywhere, it still chips and the rust comes back. You want to add anything you have to grind it down and can't replace it.
Just painting it is even more useless.
Galvanizing - by far the most appealing option, but it costs $1.08 a pound, the frame has to sandblasted spotless (unless you managed to get it acid dipped), and the process of galvanizing heats up the frame to 840 deg. F. Which can warp it very nicely.
On the other hand there is the option of putting constant "band-aids" on my existing frame while the truck is sitting on it.
In either case for me the only cost for repairs it time and cost of steel.
Any suggestions?

Hi, I remember seeing that post a while ago but it is good to go back to it. I was recently in Thailand and I think the saftey standards there might actually be slightly lower then in Mexico. Nice swap though. I of course have some questions and look forward to the meeting and seeing the 55.
Thanks

if your gonna go through all the hassle to swap a frame get a JDM or one from the states. Dont waste your time with our canadain rust

You don't need $1500 for a frame where I got mine (unless you want them to install it too, then it might get close to that)!!

Less expensive would be nice, but what are the costs of bringing it here? Also the issue of what to treat it with remains. Something that will minimize the chances of rust coming back or starting.

Don't bring it here, go get it there!! It makes a killer vacation as well as having a good frame at a low price. I can put you in touch with the right folks.
I had them pressure wash the frame even though most of the original paint was still there! Then I got them to paint it with ZeroRust since I don't expect to be in the winter very often. I figure even if I am up in the winter I've got 20 years on this frame before it's toast.

I'm planning on being there! We leave the next day for warmer climes (Central America)!

Less expensive would be nice, but what are the costs of bringing it here? Also the issue of what to treat it with remains. Something that will minimize the chances of rust coming back or starting.

minimize the rust? paint the bloody thing................... toyota never did

They did, it was a light coat of some black paint, but that was never the issue, the problem was that there were not enough, or large enough, drain holes in the frames. If you look at every rusty frame (and I know you have see many) there is crap on the inside, mud, grime, dirt, water. All of them rust from the inside out not from the outside in. Just paint will not help at all. You need to make the drain holes larger, reinforce the metal around so it does not buckle, then of course coat it with something. Even the JDMs that come here and are rust free, a couple of winters and off-roading sessions and the rust attacks them.

I would take the frame(body off and all by it's self) and super clean it with steam pressure washer etc.

Then I would sandblast the exterior, and paint the exterior with POR. The interior I would devise a long gun to spray corrosion ihibiting something. Such as Dinitrol(aviation corrosion proofing). Coat the inside and your good.

I was toying with something like that as an option, if I end up fixing the frame off the parts truck then I will modify it to actually have proper drain holes and access holes so that it can be cleaned after off-roading. Of course strengthen the areas where the holes are and replace anything that has rust with new metal (unless I get a frame that does not have rust). But the info on the Dinitrol will come in handy, I will have to do some research on that.

Or Mat close up the holes.... make it so no mud gets in the frame. Lowtideride did that in one thread.

I will have to ask him about it and if there were any set backs. I can only see a couple of problems with that:
the frame would have to be clean, rust, dirt and moisture free on the inside to be able to close it off. It would have to be a tight seal all around otherwise moisture will get it and have no way out and you're back to the same thing if not worse. Anything you want to add to the frame (sliders, bumpers, etc) would either have to be planned out before or attached in some other way, drilling into a "sealed" frame would render the sealing useless. Also what, if anything, would that do for flexibility of the frame.
I should just buy a JDM and not worry about this crap for the next 15-20 years, if I sell my body to science I might get some cash:idea:

"if I sell my body to science I might get some cash"

Maybe check the Circus first. :)

Might have better luck with the circus; last I heard was that your body has about $2.50s worth of minerals in it, the rest is water and B.S. HaHa,
~Bill

The idea of sealing or closing it up, is to keep the muck out of it. Would it be air tight.....probably not. But you could leave some holes to spray heavy grease in there once and awhile.

Yah JDM's are rust free. But not for long. Especially if it is a 60 JDM. All the seams are bare metal. I opened the lower seam on a rust free 60 tail gate and saw the beginnings of rust.

If I owned a rust free(no such thing) 60 I would spray a penetrating rust inhibiting oil in the doors, tail gates(upper and lower) and all the fenders. That might buy 25 yrs... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom