Rusty frame fix for your '60 series! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
Someone who will remain nameless has purchased a "Star" for me so I will oblige by posting up the frame swap I did on my '82 BJ60 here in Honduras. First a little background. My truck is registered in Canada and I have owned it since 1989 and drove it in Canada/USA exclusively until about 3-4 years ago when we started venturing into Mexico and Central America.

Now we spend most of our time in Central America away from the vehicle destroying salt found on the roads in the north!

The 20+ years of travelling in the north however has taken it's toll on the frame of my truck. It has been repaired as far as the body goes but there is only so much that can be done to the frame and still be safe. The last time the body guy in Canada saw it he said that a frame swap was going to be necessary sooner than later so I've been watching for a frame.

I found a good one here in Central America where vehicle killing salt does not exist!

I decided to take the "bull by the horns" and ELIMINATE rust from the frame of my '82 BJ60. I was somewhat encouraged to do this by my buddy who also has a BJ60 of similar vintage and who broke the spring mount right off the frame due to rust!

I located a rust free BJ60 frame here in Central America last spring and brought some RustBullit to paint it with when we returned in the summer.

I was finally able to arrange to get the swap happening the week prior to Christmas vacation. Drove down to Tegucigalpa, Honduras on the 11th of December in preparation to start the swap first thing Monday the 12th.

I'll post up pics of the whole operation but remember, this is Central America and the shops are NOT equipped like they are at home.

Here's the truck before the swap and some of the rust damage I was trying to eliminate.
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Here are some pictures of the truck prior to the work and of the frame trouble spots. There will be more frame pic's later once the old frame is out from under the truck.

You can see how good the body mount bolts looked!
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG

On we go as the work continues! This is all day one! We're on a deadline as I need to be back in Guatemala for family flying in on the sunday, 6 days from now!!
Check out the new frame! This is the main area for rust on our '60 series. This one is nearly perfect!!
rustfree.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG

Up with the body! Out comes the old frame on day two! There was nice wobbly supports holding up the old body and we had to air down the rear tires just to get the frame out.
This is where things get just a little scary! Remember, this is Central America NOT the USA. Folks here DON'T have lots of fancy tools and lifts.
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG

Here it continues as the frame comes out and the truck goes up.... way up!
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG

Day two continues as we work to get the truck high enough.
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG

Finally we get the frame out after airing down the tires! It's awfully wobbly though. Makes me nervous just thinking about it!
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

Day 3!! The drive train and axles need to be swapped over to the new frame. How do you like the body supports??
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG

Continuing on with the project. I'd like to get the frame back under the body. Makes me nervous up there!
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG

Now to get the engine out WITHOUT an engine hoist?!? Manpower of course!!
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG

Here's the old frame! Finally I'm free of the rust demon for at least a few years!
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG

Now the engine is back in the frame! It was decided that the control of an engine hoist was a good idea so we found one at a neighbouring shop.
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG

Working hard to get that frame back under the body. I'll sleep better when that happens!
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG

Nice progress, I lived in Mexico for awhile and can vouch they definitely do it a lil different down there.

Now the delicate process to bring the body back onto the frame! It was almost too scary to watch!
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG

Day 3 nears it's end as the body is back on! I can finally sleep again!
IMG_0063.JPG

Now for day 4! Time to straighten the body and frame so the bolts will fit and the truck will look and track normally too! Proceeded faster than I expected on day 4!
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG

Day 4 nears an end and the truck is nearly back together!
IMG_0068.JPG

Day 5! The final day of the frame swap! What a whirlwind week where we went from a rusty frame that made me uncomfortable to a frame probably more solid than when I bought the truck in 1989!
Here's the team that got the job done and in record time!
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG

If folks need a frame I can probably help out in finding one as well as contacting the shop to do the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom